Sofa print patterns (Paisley? Yes/No)

transcription
"Thanks Gary. I have a message for one person in this audience - I'm sorry the rest of you have to sit through this. As you know, my computer was stolen in my last lecture. The thief apparently wanted to betray everybody's trust, and was after the exam.

The thief was smart not to plug the computer into the campus network, but the thief was not smart enough to do three things: he was not smart enough to immediately remove Windows. I installed the same version of Windows on another computer - within fifteen minutes the people in Redmond Washington were very interested to know why it was that the same version of Windows was being signalled to them from two different computers.

The thief also did not inactivate either the wireless card or the transponder that's in that computer. Within about an hour, there was a signal from various places on campus that's allowed us to track exactly where that computer went every time that it was turned on.

I'm not particularly concerned about the computer. But the thief, who thought he was only stealing an exam, is presently - we think - is probably still in possession of three kinds of data, any one of which can send this man, this young boy, actually, to federal prison. Not a good place for a young boy to be.

You are in possession of data from a hundred million dollar trial, sponsored by the NIH, for which I'm a consultant. This involves some of the largest companies on the planet, the NIH investigates these things through the FBI, they have been notified about this problem.

You are in possession of trade secrets from a Fortune 1000 biotech company, the largest one in the country, which I consult for. The Federal Trade Communication is very interested in this. Federal Marshals are the people who handle that.

You are in possession of proprietary data from a pre-public company planning an IPO. The Securities and Exchange Commission is very interested in this and I don't even know what branch of law enforcement they use.

Your academic career is about to come to an end. You are facing very serious charges, with a probability of very serious time. At this point, there's very little that anybody can do for you. One thing that you can do for yourself is to somehow prove that the integrity of the data which you possess has not been corrupted or copied.

Ironically, I am the only person on the planet that can come to your aid, because I am the only person that can tell whether the data that was on that computer are still on that computer. You will have to find a way of hoping that if you've copied anything that you can prove you only have one copy of whatever was made.

I am tied up all this afternoon; I am out of town all of next week. You have until 11:55 to return the computer, and whatever copies you've made, to my office, because I'm the only hope you've got of staying out of deeper trouble than you or any student I've ever known has ever been in.

I apologise to the rest of you for having to bring up this distasteful matter, but I will point out that we have a partial image of this person, we have two eyewitnesses, with the transponder data we're going to get this person."

I still find the "Fortune 1000 company" part funny.
I've heard of Furtune 500, but 1000 implies that the company is in 999th place.

fly said:
fuck

I figured the Windows part was.

edit: And the Fortune 1000 is very real. :heart:

"Haha, you're not good enough to be in the real 500, so we'll make up a losers 500 where ya'll have to fight to the death using only interns we have selected"

SpangeMonkee said:
yeah. that's a total bluf. though, if he knew thee MAC addy of the wireless card, it MIGHT be possible to catch him. that's about it though.
BUT THERE"S A TRANSPONDER ON THE LAPTOP

fly said:
fuck

I figured the Windows part was.

edit: And the Fortune 1000 is very real. :heart:

I was gonna say, I hear Fortune 1000 thrown around quite a lot.

theacoustician said:
It's bad when non computer people try and bluff about computers

My thoughts exactly.

Had they wanted to make it good they would've had the college security/IT officer make the statement personally, with enough tech jargon that it sounded somewhat believable. The professor had no idea what he was talking about, and his lack of confidence came across in his delivery.

KNYTE said:
My thoughts exactly.

Had they wanted to make it good they would've had the college security/IT officer make the statement personally, with enough tech jargon that it sounded somewhat believable. The professor had no idea what he was talking about, and his lack of confidence came across in his delivery.
Yup. If they could track him by the wifi card and know where the laptop is, why not just call campus security and have them arrest the person :tard: