Thread So you won half a billion. Now what?

It's just the right amount of change needed to reinvent myself as Batman.

It's been done.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...tman-this-guy/2012/03/28/gIQA8nPjgS_blog.html

I would first donate half of it to charity. I'd also start a charity organization I've been thinking about. Regardless of how much I had it would be more than enough for me and my kids and their kids so I wouldn't feel like this was a ridiculous thing to do. Then I'd pay off my debts and the debts of all those in my family. I'd build a house and buy a really fun car. I'd buy a motorcycle. I'd give my sister and her family anything they wanted. I'd then go and travel extensively. There's so much of the world I want to see. I'd do it again when the Bun got older so she could remember it because she's not going to now. I'd take culinary arts classes and baking classes because I think I might like it. I'd take sign language classes because I recently became interested in that. I'd go shopping a lot. I love clothes and shoes. I'd organize and pay for a huge UF meet at a nice vacation resort and pay everyone for their time and travel so they could all come and bring the kids and stuff. I'll hire some childcare staff so we can enjoy them and have them taken care of when adult time is needed. I like plot's idea of throwing some cash at you guys. Can't see why I couldn't throw in a few million. I'd help out a couple of my friends here at home too. I'd hire a very good lawyer and accountant. I would get Sam the best education possible.

Buy a nice house or build a new one.
Expand my IT consulting company, like state wide or tri-state area.
Maybe invest is local ISPs who are on the verge of pushing out FTTH/FTTP in this state and/or tri-state area since all the national companies are ignoring us. Could be a goldmine if properly setup and maintained.
Also just investing in companies and entrepreneurs.

I have no debt to pay off. My family members don't have any debt that I know of. Maybe I'd organize a family get together/vacation.

Buy a nice house or build a new one.
Expand my IT consulting company, like state wide or tri-state area.
Maybe invest is local ISPs who are on the verge of pushing out FTTH/FTTP in this state and/or tri-state area since all the national companies are ignoring us. Could be a goldmine if properly setup and maintained.
Also just investing in companies and entrepreneurs.

I have no debt to pay off. My family members don't have any debt that I know of. Maybe I'd organize a family get together/vacation.

Nobody has a house loan or car note or anything? Wow. We've just got a mortgage, but it would be nice to not have to pay that bill every month.

My mom owns her home. I forgot she does have a car loan, not sure how much she has left on it (she drives a Ford but wants to downsize a little). So I would help her pay off the rest of the car loan, sell the car, and get whatever she wants. I know she really wants to travel around the US and world, so I'd probably take a family vacation with her, do some siteseeing.

I don't talk with my dad, but he owns two homes that I am aware of, a few vehicles between him and his wife, and owns/operates the family business. My two older bros are all set too, own or renting a home and vehicle. Just me in the family that doesn't own a place yet.

Last edited:
I would hire someone who knows more about the topic to find the best way to maximize the money's potential.

I would spend 100 million on a super yacht with a submarine, and the rest would cover my crew and travel expenses forever.

either that or I'd keep 30 million and give the rest away, set up all my friends and family. This way if I ever became broke people would owe me substantial financial favors so I would never be down and out.
Speaking of which, mind if we crash at your place again around September time frame?

Chim said he would found the efforts to find the origins and whereabouts of the chupacabra. granted he did come from a beer tasting party before he said that.

I think it would be fun to go to random high school graduations and pick random kids out for a full ride to college.

You'd only be able to do that 2348 times. Only about 50% of college undergrads actually graduate. So you'd be flushing at least 163 million down the toilet, best case.

If someone offered me full ride, I'd ask for the cash equivalent and invest it. Conservative CAGR is 5% per year, so barring financial disaster get 20% return over 4 years which would be better than an undergrad degree.

Last edited:
i divide up a few million between everyone on here.

except for nme. i'd give her share to eesh with instructions to dole it out to her in a responsible manner.

Fuck you plot :mad: I'll have you know eesh is a million times more irresponsible with money than I ever am. He'd spend my share on extravagent clothes and shoes before I got to see a penny.

Real answer of what I would do:

Hand out money to you guys.
Pay off my work colleagues house cos I love her
Buy eesh and my mother a house
Buy my gran unlimited lifelong bingo cards to fund her gambling habit
Give £1m to the Diane Fossey Mountain Gorilla fund
Give a few million to other worthy charities that are suggested to me

For me:

A new car, nothing flash, just something comfortable.
A detached house with maybe 3/4 nice sized bedrooms and a nice garden. (max of £250,000 because I am actually that tight with money)
Build a little mini-house at the end of my garden with a sound proof music studio in, bathroom, bed etc. for the boyfriend to totter down there and leave me alone.
Quit my job and finish my degree. Maybe do a few more degrees just to keep my mind active.
Deck my house out nicely how I want it, buy some cool stuff from thinkgeek like the space invaders couch etc.
Travel - drive across the states, backpack in Asia, stay in awesome places in Japan.
Get a personal martial arts trainer for one on one lessons.

Initially though I would totally just rent out a penthouse in a hotel and snort a mountain of cocaine. Just cos. May as well do that once.

$326M, thereabouts.

OK, so halve that then for Uncle Sam. What would I do with $160M? Hmmmm...

How much is it to lease a plane for a couple years? I'd do that. Then invest the rest. Wouldn't even pay off my house, as that really isn't a very good investment.

OK, so halve that then for Uncle Sam. What would I do with $160M? Hmmmm...

How much is it to lease a plane for a couple years? I'd do that. Then invest the rest. Wouldn't even pay off my house, as that really isn't a very good investment.
Paying off mortgage is a good idea if your rate is > return on invesment and you are still making interest payments. Since the risk free rate is like, 1%, it's probably good idea.