So you can't visit people in hospitals?

What's your solution then?

Don't let anyone in and make a hard-fast rule about it. If a patient calls for that visitor, they should be allowed in as the situation calls (obviously not in the middle of brain surgury (sorry Duke) but certainly afterward).

Don't let anyone in and make a hard-fast rule about it. If a patient calls for that visitor, they should be allowed in as the situation calls (obviously not in the middle of brain surgury (sorry Duke) but certainly afterward).
That'll work well for hospice, and regular treatment centers.

That's pretty much how it works here at the emergency hospital though. They make a copy of your licence and give you a pass for X amount of minutes.

Well not completely. The case was started because it was believed there was discrimination because the couple was two women instead of a heterosexual couple, but the ruling generalized it for anyone, even next of kin. That is a dangerous ruling. I know for a fact my parents would raise all hell when their parents died and they couldn't be with them during or after while they were in the ICU.

1.) They need space to do what they need to do.
2.) They don't need relatives acting hysterical and yelling while they're trying to work on a patient should an issue arise.
3.) When everything is stable, I'm sure they have no issues allowing people in.

1.) They need space to do what they need to do.
2.) They don't need relatives acting hysterical and yelling while they're trying to work on a patient should an issue arise.
3.) When everything is stable, I'm sure they have no issues allowing people in.

this. shit. right. here.

not just that, but because of HIPAA, you can't just call and say you're so and so and ask for that patient's information. that patient needs to disclose certain individuals who will be able to talk to the medical staff about their condition.

especially since flu season started so early, it doesn't surprise me that hospitals are reminding the public of this rule. when i visited my grandfather in ICU i wasn't on the official "list", because it was an emergency situation that i went to see him. but when i showed up, one of the nurses gave me a once-over to make sure i wasn't sick to infect him/the staff/other patients. i think that should apply for anyone that goes and sees anybody in the hospital, and they do RESERVE THE RIGHT to not admit someone to visit a patient based on those guidelines.

hospitals reserve the right. makes sense to me.

i highly doubt many hospitals are/will abuse that right, and if it happens i'm sure it's isolated incidents that are investigated by the hospital... since hospitals are privately owned, they gotta compete for business. being unfriendly to visiting relatives won't get many return visitors...

now, when the government runs the show, shit yea you need to bitch.