Ontopic So yeah, I had heart surgery

Make sure you deal with all those feeling now though, I didn't, and ended up have a major meltdown a couple months afterwards... I just sucked it all up at the time, had to take care of the wife and kid, and major projects at work - it fucking burned me out big time.

It's an amazing feeling when you look back on it all though, it just seems like a bad dream, but it has an amazingly strong positive effect on your relationship :)

I'm trying to get it all out now. I had promised myself that I wouldn't do it in front of Bicuspid up there, but I have. The socks episode was particularly bad because I let it all out and I know I made him feel bad because I got home and he had cleaned up the house a bit for me, which I told him not to do :p

And yeah, it's something I've shared with a few people. It's like, when you're young or even when you're engaged you inevitably field the question of "well, how do you know this is right? how do you know this is the person you're supposed to marry?". Well, you just go with it and trust your gut. But then, somewhere in your lifetime, your choice gets validated. I've lost many family members, worst of all my mother last year, and have been a caretaker for family and friends in their times of need. But I have never prayed so hard, fought with all my heart, lost so much sleep, been so much of a cheerleader, or ANYTHING, for anyone else in my life but him. And I'm convinced if he were anyone but him, I wouldn't have gone through what I've gone through in the past three weeks (well, 5 months really since we got this bomb dropped on us) and been perfectly okay doing it.

Make sure you deal with all those feeling now though, I didn't, and ended up have a major meltdown a couple months afterwards... I just sucked it all up at the time, had to take care of the wife and kid, and major projects at work - it fucking burned me out big time.

It's an amazing feeling when you look back on it all though, it just seems like a bad dream, but it has an amazingly strong positive effect on your relationship :)

btw, glad to hear that you and yours are doing okay as well. :heart:

I'm trying to get it all out now. I had promised myself that I wouldn't do it in front of Bicuspid up there, but I have. The socks episode was particularly bad because I let it all out and I know I made him feel bad because I got home and he had cleaned up the house a bit for me, which I told him not to do :p

And yeah, it's something I've shared with a few people. It's like, when you're young or even when you're engaged you inevitably field the question of "well, how do you know this is right? how do you know this is the person you're supposed to marry?". Well, you just go with it and trust your gut. But then, somewhere in your lifetime, your choice gets validated. I've lost many family members, worst of all my mother last year, and have been a caretaker for family and friends in their times of need. But I have never prayed so hard, fought with all my heart, lost so much sleep, been so much of a cheerleader, or ANYTHING, for anyone else in my life but him. And I'm convinced if he were anyone but him, I wouldn't have gone through what I've gone through in the past three weeks (well, 5 months really since we got this bomb dropped on us) and been perfectly okay doing it.

the hardest part is knowing that you can't fix it yourself, and getting your stubborn SO to slow down for a bit ;) My wife was out of the hospital early, and pushing everything, as well as organizing a charity event while she was off work. She's nuts.

btw, glad to hear that you and yours are doing okay as well. :heart:

thanks man, we've been doing a LOT of traveling and relaxing as much as we can since she's recovered. just got back from Jamaica, heading to Vegas on the 26th :)

oh yeah, the dream episode.

I was asleep during my third bout of A-fib so they started treating it without waking me up I woke up in the middle of it with no idea who the doctors and nurses were, but thinking I was a bio soldier and they were taking my organs to build more bio soldiers. Took me few minutes to figure shit out. Doctor got a kick out of that one. :lol:

The phone call I got from the attending on the unit floor that night at 2:40am was hilarious. Except for the fact that you went into A-fib again and I had to head on over to keep your tits calm :p

We've got similar stuff lined up for next year when he's out of the official recovery phase. Golf school for him (and half marathon for me) in Myrtle Beach in the early spring, then a cruise to Bermuda with our BFFs, then Maui for our anniversary, London for Christmas with Dad, and a few other race-necessitated trips thrown in there too.

Oh, I'm sure I would've survived, no worries there.
But you're forever a gnome.

S127d.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
Yowser. :heart:

Sounds like you've been pretty strong through this and heart surgery is no joke. I'm glad you are okay!

holy crap. :(

<3 i'm glad you're ok...that's a big deal -- for BOTH of you -- and i can't imagine being on either side of something like that.

best wishes to y'all, and to the maplesyrups...it sounds like all this has made y'all stronger, and that's something so wonderful. <3

Wow, You valves have had a a lot if issues. :heart:

Hang in there. With what you've already gone through, I'm confident that you will handle it well!

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks :) The encouragement is definitely appreciated. He's doing really well so far and that's been a huge help in the grand scheme of things. My anxiety has dissipated to the point of getting off of my Klonopin, so yay.

No scar pics. He's too squicky about it :p

Today marks one month out from surgery :happy:

Recovery plan will be updated on Tuesday when we get a new echo and see his surgeon for followup. Hopefully it will now include things like being able to drive, lift more than 10lbs, and um, other recreational activities :shady: