So Work Banned This Site From Me

http://www.nextag.com/3M-Privacy-Monitor-Filter-2274634/prices-html

At my job before last I had one of those on the monitor I browsed the internet on and kept drawings and models up on the monitor everyone could see. I think the list price for the PO I filled out was 200 bucks but it was well worth it. It got rid of my headaches from the screen glare :D

Too bad they look conspicuous, like you are hiding something. =(

They know what I'm looking at just by reviewing the internet traffic anyways.

My strategy is that I tell my boss that people on here have tech backgrounds and that by having a relationship and builing a network with them we can quickly gather opinions and find solutions to our problems if the need arises. Which is not untrue, I have posted and found resolution to work related problems on here that I didn't find on google or through other traditional means.

But he also knows I screw off in here for part of my day, luckily he is cool enough to not care as long as my duties get done. I stay late when the need arises and I work at home in my off time if problems come up. Besides, he's a bigger slacker than I am so he can't say anything :fly:

Too bad they look conspicuous, like you are hiding something. =(

They know what I'm looking at just by reviewing the internet traffic anyways.

Oh I know what it seems like. I had a decent set-up, I really didn't need the screen. I had my own area to work, no one could watch me anyways unless they were almost standing behind me, walls on all sides. And I wasn't too worried about network administrators ;)

My strategy is that I tell my boss that people on here have tech backgrounds and that by having a relationship and builing a network with them we can quickly gather opinions and find solutions to our problems if the need arises. Which is not untrue, I have posted and found resolution to work related problems on here that I didn't find on google or through other traditional means.

But he also knows I screw off in here for part of my day, luckily he is cool enough to not care as long as my duties get done. I stay late when the need arises and I work at home in my off time if problems come up. Besides, he's a bigger slacker than I am so he can't say anything :fly:

huh?

I told my boss that same thing and he was like "yeah right" and I was like yeah that was a complete lie, I like the arcade and bs'in with the pupils :fly:

Your I.T. geeks are using products like WebSense, Secure Computing or even Microsoft IAS. When your internet gateway sees traffic trying to leave the network bound for the internet, it redirects that traffic to a server that logs where the traffic was coming from (your computer) and where it is going to (UF.com). Reports can be generated on any scheduled time frame your I.T. team sets up. They can even put a manager contact in your record so that the reports are automatically e-mailed to your supervisor.

It's a real [admin edit] up the butt because most of us are 100 times more productive than our "colleagues".

Many of my clients have had me write rules into their websense servers for eBay, myspace, and ESPN.

Whoever said to access UF via IP address is correct, that will get you around most web content systems because those systems don't take the time to reverse DNS check the IP address back into the domain name it's used for. However some do.

Question for the web people ... Is UF hosted on a server with a static IP? If not, you might have a problem finding the site from time to time if the hosting company re-numbers our site.

If this becomes a real hassle (or if they threaten your job), PM me and let me know. I'll teach you how to use a proxy server to send all of your HTTP (port 80) traffic to an open proxy server on the internet. This will bypass your company's websense/content filtering service and they won't ever see you browse the web ever again. Just enable it and disable it from time to time to keep them guessing! :D

I hate corporate america.

Your I.T. geeks are using products like WebSense, Secure Computing or even Microsoft IAS. When your internet gateway sees traffic trying to leave the network bound for the internet, it redirects that traffic to a server that logs where the traffic was coming from (your computer) and where it is going to (UF.com). Reports can be generated on any scheduled time frame your I.T. team sets up. They can even put a manager contact in your record so that the reports are automatically e-mailed to your supervisor.

It's a real [admin edit] up the butt because most of us are 100 times more productive than our "colleagues".

Many of my clients have had me write rules into their websense servers for eBay, myspace, and ESPN.

Whoever said to access UF via IP address is correct, that will get you around most web content systems because those systems don't take the time to reverse DNS check the IP address back into the domain name it's used for. However some do.

Question for the web people ... Is UF hosted on a server with a static IP? If not, you might have a problem finding the site from time to time if the hosting company re-numbers our site.

If this becomes a real hassle (or if they threaten your job), PM me and let me know. I'll teach you how to use a proxy server to send all of your HTTP (port 80) traffic to an open proxy server on the internet. This will bypass your company's websense/content filtering service and they won't ever see you browse the web ever again. Just enable it and disable it from time to time to keep them guessing! :D

I hate corporate america.

The part that got me was that it would email so-and-so about my usage. My company is EXACTLY the type to do that. Nice post. I may be in contact with you shortly if anything arises. :heart: