So, who watched Lost last night?

Mondoz said:
That looks like next week's episode.
they're gonna out her? I thought it was about the chinese couple and that one dude getting beat up? My Tivo cutoff the very end of the show and the preview for next week.

long tall smiley said:
they're gonna out her? I thought it was about the chinese couple and that one dude getting beat up? My Tivo cutoff the very end of the show and the preview for next week.

It looks to be mostly on the Koreans, but there's a scene with her and Jack where they seem to be talking about that, but she doesn't want to say.

Mondoz said:
It looks to be mostly on the Koreans, but there's a scene with her and Jack where they seem to be talking about that, but she doesn't want to say.
Huh, for some reason I thought they were Chinese. I guess that was the first asian culture that popped into my head that still has a repressive patriarchal system.

Do you think they'll kill of anymore characters?

long tall smiley said:
Huh, for some reason I thought they were Chinese. I guess that was the first asian culture that popped into my head that still has a repressive patriarchal system.

Do you think they'll kill of anymore characters?

Hell yeah.

I read an interview with the creators... They said that what they're planning to do is to occasionally bring one of the non-regulars into the story and have a main character go off into the woods with them, have the monster stalk them, and have it kill the main character instead of the newbie... All sorts of unexpected crap.

He wouldn't say if another plane would crash there while these guys were there...
But when asked if someone else would arrive on the island, he said "Who is to say that someone on the beach wasn't already on the island to begin with?"

Mondoz said:
Hell yeah.

I read an interview with the creators... They said that what they're planning to do is to occasionally bring one of the non-regulars into the story and have a main character go off into the woods with them, have the monster stalk them, and have it kill the main character instead of the newbie... All sorts of unexpected crap.

He wouldn't say if another plane would crash there while these guys were there...
But when asked if someone else would arrive on the island, he said "Who is to say that someone on the beach wasn't already on the island to begin with?"
Oh, those fuckers. Damn them. I like the twist on bringing the redshirt along into the woods.

Reminds me of Farscape in that you can't expect the usual formulaic writing and tie up all the lose ends endings that you see in most 1 hour shows nowadays.

20041020l.jpg

Mondoz said:
Maybe. I don't usually pay attention to that.

It's one of the HD channels, though... :drool:
HD is soooo last year.

And its on ABC.

long tall smiley said:
HD is soooo last year.

And its on ABC.

Maybe so, but now I have a HD DVR, which has become my God and Savior.

The altar of candles makes it overheat sometimes, and the wax cloggs up the vent holes... But I rinse it down with the blood of sacrifices every few days to keep it clean.

Mondoz said:
Maybe so, but now I have a HD DVR, which has become my God and Savior.

The altar of candles makes it overheat sometimes, and the wax cloggs up the vent holes... But I rinse it down with the blood of sacrifices every few days to keep it clean.
How big of a drive do you need for HD DVR?

long tall smiley said:
How big of a drive do you need for HD DVR?

It's 80 GB, I think.

I use it for the HD shows, and the two TiVo's to get everything else.

Mondoz said:
It's 80 GB, I think.

I use it for the HD shows, and the two TiVo's to get everything else.
Damn, that can't store too much then I would think. And two tivos??

We got our Directivo back a few months ago. Love the little guy

long tall smiley said:
Damn, that can't store too much then I would think. And two tivos??

We got our Directivo back a few months ago. Love the little guy

Well, the only stuff I tape is the prime time stuff. One or two shows a night, it's not too bad. I delete most of it when I'm done, so it stays around 40-50% full most of the time.

I used to have just a normal TiVo. It was great, but couldn't tape the HD stuff.
So when I got a HD DVR, I thought it would replace the TiVo, so I moved him into the study.
After discovering that the only thing the HD box could do well was tape a few shows and play them back, (user unfriendly as hell) I realized I still could use the TiVo for everything else.

By that time, I had gotten really attached to having a TiVo in my study.. So I broke down and got a second one to put in the living room.

That opened up the possibility of networking them together, and sharing shows between them. That part rocks. I also upgraded their hard drives. Added a 120 gb drive to each one... :drool:

My next step is to add FTP & Telnet to them. That lets you pull the video files out onto the PC. :D

Mondoz said:
Well, the only stuff I tape is the prime time stuff. One or two shows a night, it's not too bad. I delete most of it when I'm done, so it stays around 40-50% full most of the time.

I used to have just a normal TiVo. It was great, but couldn't tape the HD stuff.
So when I got a HD DVR, I thought it would replace the TiVo, so I moved him into the study.
After discovering that the only thing the HD box could do well was tape a few shows and play them back, (user unfriendly as hell) I realized I still could use the TiVo for everything else.

By that time, I had gotten really attached to having a TiVo in my study.. So I broke down and got a second one to put in the living room.

That opened up the possibility of networking them together, and sharing shows between them. That part rocks. I also upgraded their hard drives. Added a 120 gb drive to each one... :drool:

My next step is to add FTP & Telnet to them. That lets you pull the video files out onto the PC. :D
Oh my. Supposedly Tivo is supposed to be coming out with a home media option sometime in the near future that will allow you to do that without hacking them. If only they would bring those features to the directivo

long tall smiley said:
Oh my. Supposedly Tivo is supposed to be coming out with a home media option sometime in the near future that will allow you to do that without hacking them. If only they would bring those features to the directivo

From what I've read, they're really in a bind about video extraction. That opens up all sorts of legal hassles... Most boards won't even let you discuss it.

The Home Media Option is free now, and lets you transfer stuff between units.

I believe you can do most of these hacks to the direct tivo units... At least, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the HDD... You might be able to do the other hacks as well.
Have you spent any time on the TiVo community forums?

Mondoz said:
From what I've read, they're really in a bind about video extraction. That opens up all sorts of legal hassles... Most boards won't even let you discuss it.

The Home Media Option is free now, and lets you transfer stuff between units.

I believe you can do most of these hacks to the direct tivo units... At least, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the HDD... You might be able to do the other hacks as well.
Have you spent any time on the TiVo community forums?
Yeah, I'm just not enterprising enough at the moment to hack mine. Yeah, Tivo to go is what I meant I think. Damn it would be nice to burn my pure digital shows onto DVD.

long tall smiley said:
Yeah, I'm just not enterprising enough at the moment to hack mine. Yeah, Tivo to go is what I meant I think. Damn it would be nice to burn my pure digital shows onto DVD.

No doubt. I wish TiVo would come out with a standalone HD unit.
The HD box Time Warner provides is about as user friendly as a braile bug zapper. (hehehe - just thought of that one)

It records and plays back recordings. That's it.
No ratings, no suggestions, no easily finding shows, no cute animated logo...
After using TiVo, I'm so spoiled...

Is TiVo publicly traded?