So, who got one?

theacoustician said:
The "p" implies 60Hz or 60 fps just like in AV land.

Actually, I thought the p just implied that they actually draw every line. And the screen may be refreshing at 60hz, but that doesn't mean that the game is drawn at that speed.

Sarcasmo said:
I get all the info I need about a game from the back of the box when I'm looking at it.

Why bother with the back. If the cover art isn't worth it, toss it. :)

taeric said:
Actually, I thought the p just implied that they actually draw every line. And the screen may be refreshing at 60hz, but that doesn't mean that the game is drawn at that speed.
If its progressive scan, it is forced to redraw the whole image 60 times a second. If there is no new information from the graphics engine, then yes, it will simply redraw what was there. MS has said that it will be true 60 fps, but then again, who knows how closely they're watching developers. I would think it difficult to pull off since there will be games out there done correctly. People would instantly recognize the real deal from the cheaters.

theacoustician said:
If its progressive scan, it is forced to redraw the whole image 60 times a second. If there is no new information from the graphics engine, then yes, it will simply redraw what was there. MS has said that it will be true 60 fps, but then again, who knows how closely they're watching developers. I would think it difficult to pull off since there will be games out there done correctly. People would instantly recognize the real deal from the cheaters.

I guess what I am saying is that whatever the screen draws at doesn't matter. On my computer at home, I've not had a monitor with a <60hz refresh in a long time. I have played many games that had FPS rates below 60.

And Microsoft has said a lot of things. I'm not going to just start believing them on this one. I do agree that the market will not put up with games that have low framerates too much. (Though, I liked Shadow of the Collosus for the PS2 and it had some serious slowdown at times.)

Atari 2600 > all other consoles ever! uhh...yeah.

Anybody remember waiting in line so they could play this one? :D

s_ET_3.png

Don't worry, I didn't either. But I kicked ass at Congo Bongo at age 4... I sucked at ET :(

ERage said:
Atari 2600 > all other consoles ever! uhh...yeah.

Anybody remember waiting in line so they could play this one? :D

[MG]http://www.atariage.com/2600/screenshots/s_ET_3.png[/IMG]​

Don't worry, I didn't either. But I kicked ass at Congo Bongo at age 4.

Hell yeah! ET kicked ass.

gonna sit this out for a while, and wait until they become more available.

my roommates and i are going to play the shit out of perfect dark zero, though. and pgr3.

theacoustician said:
Holy doesn't know what he's talking about batman! I suppose this may be true if you only like FPS's, but there has been some quality must-play games put out there.

Game types that people argue are better on a console:

1) Fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken etc) - I play these regularly on my PC, I be straight dealin' death on Marvel Vs Capcom (granted I use a console style CONTROLLER, but it's still over my PC).

2) Sports games. (Madden Football, NFL Blitz yada yada yada) I don't play them often, but I can still get ports of them for the PC if I want to.

3) Racing games - They make racing wheels for the PC that pwn the console versions.

4) 3rd person action games (Tomb Raider, Bloodrayne, etc) - More often than not titles in this genre are lame. There are exceptions of course, Bloodrayne 2 was pretty entertaining, but it also came out on the PC.

So really there isn't a reason (IMO) to drop $400 on a console that only plays games when the game list is either

- also available on the PC
- Not worth playing long term

Someone give some examples only available on the console that make owning one worthwhile!

You know what makes me prefer the consoles over the PC? It has nothing to do with the fact that device drivers and such are a pain to deal with. It has nothing to do with what genre of game I like to play.

It has everything to do with the fact that my day is spent working on a computer. I don't want to come home and mess around on the computer if I don't have to.

That and IM gets in the way. :)

Fat Burger said:
Platform and party games aren't available on PC (most of them, anyway).
Though, one of the best party games ever was on the PC. You Don't Know Jack. :) Loved that series.