so where do you see America in 50 years?

thrawn said:
tre's std and my spawn will have taken over the world by then, you all will be subsidizing our retirement

yes, they'll lead as two kings, and we'll be given diplomatic positions in scotland

KNYTE said:
I guess I should point out that

CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS STARTED THE COUNTRY.

I thought being a history major you may have picked up that little detail.
America was not only founded by conservative Christians. Too many Americans continuously focus upon the puritans but most Americans came for economic freedom. It’s a common misconception. And you know the last time we mixed politics and religion? PEOPLE WERE BURNED AT THE STAKE. First colony was founded for financial freedom, there was the puritans that was founded for religious freedom, the rest of the country was founded for economic freedom.

Fat Burger said:
Don't be a dumbass. Government beauracracy is what's ruining the country. It's time to oust one of the two major parties. Bring back the Whigs!
I’m not too sure that would solve the problem but it sure as hell would be funny.

I think it's probably all down hill from here. we might eventually level out and become something similar to france, but that's all i see.

Canada, although, I see them outlasting us.

djduquet said:
America was not only founded by conservative Christians. Too many Americans continuously focus upon the puritans but most Americans came for economic freedom. It’s a common misconception. And you know the last time we mixed politics and religion? PEOPLE WERE BURNED AT THE STAKE. First colony was founded for financial freedom, there was the puritans that was founded for religious freedom, the rest of the country was founded for economic freedom.
I think his point was that regardless of the reason they came here and regardless of the reason they established whatever systems they did the large majority were hardcore protestant. No matter how you try to differentiate the reasons from the people it comes back to they for the most part had the same religious background which influenced their decisions.

I’m not too sure that would solve the problem but it sure as hell would be funny.
Their economic policy would probably cripple the country.

djduquet said:

Um no, PA was set up as a religious haven for the Quakers. Maryland was set up as religious haven for the Catholics. Connecticut and Rhode Island were set up as religious havens from the Puritans.

Well there seems to be some disagreement upon the topic of the foundation of the American colonies and this nation. To settle this disagreement I’ve gotten out some of my old books and quickly tossed the following together. If anyone still does not believe me I’ll make a trip to the library tomorrow and write an essay on the topic if it is so necessary.

England’s monarchs and ministers of state had long been interested in America. Economic changes in England provided a large body of settlers willing to go to America.
The large flow of gold from the Americas caused what is known as the price revolution causing inflation from around 1530 to 1600 resulting in social changes in the English countryside. Economics influenced politics – the right to representation by the decline of the power of the House of Lords resulted in the rise of the House of Commons to control taxation had massive impacts upon not only English society but American society as well.

Land was bought up in England by lords for the beginning of the Industrial revolution in the textile industry by taking land from the peasants and turning it into land for the raising of sheep for wool. This left the over two thirds of the English population in factories with poor wages and living conditions resulting in many turning to indentured servitude in order to better their lives. The result was the foundation of the Virginia colonies. Although one of the stated reasons was to propagate the Christian religion the trade for valuable goods and gold remained the main goal of the Virginia colony. The first colonial settlements included only traders and adventures – no settlers, ministers, or women. The colony of Jamestown was ultimately doomed due to the environment yet the importance of what the Virginian colony was in it’s method of foundation.

Following this pattern is the settlement of the tobacco colonies. The Virginia colonies were wholly commercial from the beginning. The goal was to follow Spain in the conquest and accumulation of wealth in order to make the metropolis wealthier and more economically dominant in European politics. Tobacco became the economically viable crop in order to sustain the colony and export wealth back to England. In order to sustain the labour intensive crop a source of labour needed to be attained resulting in indentured servitude. Perry Miller, a famous historian of Puritan New England, has shown that the Virginian colony and others were founded as a purely economic venture. There were two methods in which foundation of colonies was achieved. The first and main was economic ventures, only later in the northern colonies was religion incorporated as a larger role.

To conclude the main reason of America’s foundation was economic reasons, not religious. Religion did indeed play a role yet it was not the main reason for the development and foundation of American colonial society.

The above information was removed from Perspectives on the American Past by Michael Perman and America’s History by James Henretta.

djduquet said:

Well the Whigs wouldn't do much good, especially since there aren't any left.

However, a two party system guarantees beuracracy. Both the Republican and Democratic parties are becoming more embroiled in layers of red tape, rather than being able to get things done. The only solution to this (besides major changes within the party, which isn't going to happen) is a new party coming in. I can easily see the Libertarion or America First party being a good addition, though there are arguments for others as well.

(America First is my party)

Fat Burger said:
Well the Whigs wouldn't do much good, especially since there aren't any left.

However, a two party system guarantees beuracracy. Both the Republican and Democratic parties are becoming more embroiled in layers of red tape, rather than being able to get things done. The only solution to this (besides major changes within the party, which isn't going to happen) is a new party coming in. I can easily see the Libertarion or America First party being a good addition, though there are arguments for others as well.

(America First is my party)
I agree about the party change, yet Libertarion nor the America First is the best, perhaps a combination of the two would be great. But yes, I agree, screw our parties right now.

djduquet said:
I agree about the party change, yet Libertarion nor the America First is the best, perhaps a combination of the two would be great. But yes, I agree, screw our parties right now.
The thing about libertarians is they need to start getting elected to normal positions. Dog catcher, county sheriff, judges, state legislature. Build up a base and experiance. I cant see them running an entire country atm. They also need to lose some of their nutty platform positions, i.e. open borders (huge security risk) and military (doing away with the UCMJ).

djduquet said:

I agree if you could combine those 2 parties we may have a chance at decent government.

Only having 2 major parties now is horrible.

b_sinning said:
I agree if you could combine those 2 parties we may have a chance at decent government.

Only having 2 major parties now is horrible.

Having 3 parties, causing minority governments, is no picnic either. It does create a tight leash on the reigning party however, but creates an air of instability where an election could be iminent at any time.