So, what's involved in getting my own place?

Hard_Rocker said:
I'll consider it, but I dunno, I think it'd be easier just to find it on my own/with the help of friends. Who knows, I'm not looking QUITE yet so we'll see. :)
I've been renting aparments for 15 years. Trust me, going around to 20-30 different places looking for the one you might like is difficult and at the end you'll have a difficult time remembering which place was which. Also, realtors know things about complexes that you or your friends may not know: maintenance issues, unreliable leasing agents, construction problems, history of unhappy tennants, etc. They also probably know about more complexes than you or your friends. Remember, leasing agents are there to lease you a place. They'll lie to you and cover up anything they think might make you not want to rent from them. Realtors, don't care either way as they aren't beholden to any complexes.

It's a free service. It's a way to find the best apartment you can afford. There's really no reason not to do it. If the realtor can't find something you like, you're not out anything but a little time.

Take it from someone who's done it both ways MANY times, I'll never look for a place on my own again. Granted, the next step for me is likely a house or condo.

tre said:
get insurance.

This man speaks the truth, renters insurance is VERY important!

While I normally do not like generalizations, here is one I've encountered a few times: A lot of renting area's are lower income area's. Now, this is quite possibly specific to my region, but something to look out for, as in my personal experience, crime is generally higher in these area's.

As well, having insurnace will give you more peace of mind. Besides the fact that since you are just moving in, and are renting, you probably won't know your neighbors too well, and they will not find anything odd one day when you are at work and 2 guys go in and out a few time loading their van with your stuff.

I pay about $150 a year for about 10 grand coverage, just enough to cover my tv, stereo and computer, you know, the important things :)

Bordak said:
This man speaks the truth, renters insurance is VERY important!

While I normally do not like generalizations, here is one I've encountered a few times: A lot of renting area's are lower income area's. Now, this is quite possibly specific to my region, but something to look out for, as in my personal experience, crime is generally higher in these area's.

As well, having insurnace will give you more peace of mind. Besides the fact that since you are just moving in, and are renting, you probably won't know your neighbors too well, and they will not find anything odd one day when you are at work and 2 guys go in and out a few time loading their van with your stuff.

I pay about $150 a year for about 10 grand coverage, just enough to cover my tv, stereo and computer, you know, the important things :)
Believe it or not, the condo complex that I live in requires that you have insurance. Apparently a few years back they had a fire in one of the buildings and the guy didn't have insurance, so the condo assn's insurance had to cover everything, and they have a $1500 deductible. Well, if you don't have proof of insurance within 30 days of move in and renewals, they fine you $1500, just to be safe. It's a good incentive, IMO.

CletusJones said:
buy a condo. it's not as hard as you'd think. my mortgage is only $422 a month.

i want a town home in dc. maybe in georgetown or then again in boston even. i'm closer than you think!