So, what's involved in getting my own place?

H

Hard_Rocker

I'm going to be looking for an apartment sometime soon. Never done this before. How should I go about it? Once I find a place I like, what should I be expected to do? What kind of stuff needs to be paid up front... about how much money should I have available when I go out intending to get myself a place to live?

Any advice appreciated, I'm 20 and scared of the real world. :D

Drool-Boy said:
You will probably need a co-signer too since I bet you dont have any real credit.

that's not a problem, my parents don't hate me (yet :p)

Also, I should add... I'm looking for more of a privately-rented place than something in an apartment complex. I'm asking peope I know in my hometown to look for apartments coming up for rent in the neighborhoods I like, and the vast majority of rental properties in those areas are family-owned or whatever.

Hard_Rocker said:
Also, I should add... I'm looking for more of a privately-rented place than something in an apartment complex. I'm asking peope I know in my hometown to look for apartments coming up for rent in the neighborhoods I like, and the vast majority of rental properties in those areas are family-owned or whatever.

Then you probably wont have to worry about a credit check, if its just between you and some guy or whatever. As long as you pay your rent on time and dont piss off the landlord youll be fine.

depending on who you are and what you rent you may need desposits on things like gas, water, electric, cable, etc...

But it all depends on if you get lucky or not. I used to work in a different country during winter months and always had to find a place to rent. I never had a problem just signing the form and getting all these things without even a credit check. My friend on the other hand had to put a deposit on everything even after a good credit check.

crazymike said:
depending on who you are and what you rent you may need desposits on things like gas, water, electric, cable, etc...

But it all depends on if you get lucky or not. I used to work in a different country during winter months and always had to find a place to rent. I never had a problem just signing the form and getting all these things without even a credit check. My friend on the other hand had to put a deposit on everything even after a good credit check.
it was like that when I bought my condo. I didn't have to put a deposit on anything, whereas my best friend who bought a condo like 3 months later, needed a deposit on everything. we compared credit scores and we're both within about 50 points of eachother's score. It's weird.

When I moved, I had a LOT of stuff that I brought with me, but I still ended up having to buy about $1500 worth of incidental stuff that you wouldn't think of until you need it. Paint is expensive too, but with an apartment you shouldn't have to worry about that. I think of all my expenses, food is probably one of the biggest. I don't go to the store very often, so when I go, it's usually about $150+ because it's for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. If I go weekly, it's about $60 - $85 depending on what I buy. If I buy the sale stuff it makes a HUGE difference.

CletusJones said:
it was like that when I bought my condo. I didn't have to put a deposit on anything, whereas my best friend who bought a condo like 3 months later, needed a deposit on everything. we compared credit scores and we're both within about 50 points of eachother's score. It's weird.

When I moved, I had a LOT of stuff that I brought with me, but I still ended up having to buy about $1500 worth of incidental stuff that you wouldn't think of until you need it. Paint is expensive too, but with an apartment you shouldn't have to worry about that. I think of all my expenses, food is probably one of the biggest. I don't go to the store very often, so when I go, it's usually about $150+ because it's for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. If I go weekly, it's about $60 - $85 depending on what I buy. If I buy the sale stuff it makes a HUGE difference.

QFT

it's the little things that add up. Walmart Super Store and the dollar store will become your best friends for the first month. You need to buy a tonne of little things that you will never thing of until you need it. Cookie sheets, mops, brooms, laundry baskets, garbage bags, etc... Plan on spending like $200 in the first week on smell pointless things alone.

cool... so just to keep hassle down I should try and find a private apartment, and just make sure I have my check in their mailbox before the first of every month? I'm just assuming from what I've seen in movies and such, I don't know many people who have their own places really.

Should I live on my own, or should I try to find a roommate? I'm leaning towards living alone because I've hated living with roommates in dorms, but if it's a big advantage monetarily then...?

I've done it on my own and I've done it with professional help and the latter is much more preferrable. And no, I'm not talking about sex.

What I'm talking about is getting in touch with a realtor. You can go with either the Apartment Finders type places or what I did. When I moved to Dallas, I called a person at Ebby Halliday who specialized in rental properties. What she did was take down a list of what I wanted and didn't want, what my budget would be, and asked a bunch of questions. When I came to town to look, she took me to about 8 places that all met my criteria. It really helped separate the wheat from the chaff, and there's a shit load of chaff (crappy apartments) here in Dallas.

Something to consider. Oh, and the price is right: FREE!!!

Viremia said:
I've done it on my own and I've done it with professional help and the latter is much more preferrable. And no, I'm not talking about sex.

What I'm talking about is getting in touch with a realtor. You can go with either the Apartment Finders type places or what I did. When I moved to Dallas, I called a person at Ebby Halliday who specialized in rental properties. What she did was take down a list of what I wanted and didn't want, what my budget would be, and asked a bunch of questions. When I came to town to look, she took me to about 8 places that all met my criteria. It really helped separate the wheat from the chaff, and there's a shit load of chaff (crappy apartments) here in Dallas.

Something to consider. Oh, and the price is right: FREE!!!

yes, find a realtor! makes things so much easier. Also if something goes wrong you have someone to go back to.

crazymike said:
yes, find a realtor! makes things so much easier. Also if something goes wrong you have someone to go back to.

I'll consider it, but I dunno, I think it'd be easier just to find it on my own/with the help of friends. Who knows, I'm not looking QUITE yet so we'll see. :)

Hard_Rocker said:
I'll consider it, but I dunno, I think it'd be easier just to find it on my own/with the help of friends. Who knows, I'm not looking QUITE yet so we'll see. :)

It depends on the area. In florida it takes weeks to find a place on your own.