Ontopic So what the heck do we do with Iraq?

TBH, I don't care what the other person wants, what they call it, or what definition they use, as long as they're willing to do some serious lifting to get it. Not the whole, meh, someone else can do this.
You misunderstood my comment.
Maybe these people you see fleeing honestly don't care what they get. I think a lot of them are just trying to stay safe, but maybe some of them want this.

If the US were to have a civil war, it would go from a fucking nightmare to Armageddon if a foreign power decided to intervene.

Leave internal struggles to the county who's borders it falls within. Once it spills outside of those borders, then intervention is something that might be valid.

If true, I want to see more of this.

Consider it a first hand source.

That said, ISIS now controls the rivers and dams upstream which feed into, and maintain, the Baghdad water supply. In addition, theyre massing artilliary captured from the supply depots within range of the city. Its not looking good.

Consider it a first hand source.

That said, ISIS now controls the rivers and dams upstream which feed into, and maintain, the Baghdad water supply. In addition, theyre massing artilliary captured from the supply depots within range of the city. Its not looking good.

there was a general or someone saying that it's impressive they've (isis) done what they've done, but the guy didn't think they had longevity on their side. We'll see.

Where they will find themselves falling short, is if it comes to skilled ground warfare. Sure, they can set up their artillary, and shell the city. But that will almost certainly draw a tank brigade in their direction, and even if they have some tanks, which im not sure they do, skilled tankers will make mincemeat of them. There are certain war trades that require significant skill, and tanking is one of them. I dont see these guys having that skill.

I'd also imagine we could swiftly eliminate large portions of the problem with drones.

we could. But that goes back to "how much should we be involved".

Realistically, if they start shelling civilian populations with mortars, theyre toast. A couple of aegis class destroyers will wipe out their entire encampments without a second thought.

we could. But that goes back to "how much should we be involved".

Realistically, if they start shelling civilian populations with mortars, theyre toast. A couple of aegis class destroyers will wipe out their entire encampments without a second thought.

re: the 'how much should we be involved' part, I think that we've probably got the ability to frame an entire US drone event to: the iraqi army is successfully doing their job.

you're exactly right on the 'if they get too agressive' results.

I think we only have one viable option

lolbrary.com_12587_1386605900.gif

I'm not a card carrying republican but on most issues, with the exception of abortion and gay marriage, I lean right much more than I lean left (democrat). That being said I don't want to see boots on the ground again in Iraq. However, I think the president coming flat out and saying no way to anything other than sending a few advisors over their was the wrong move. ISIS should have been made to think all options are on the table from the US.

I'm not a card carrying republican but on most issues, with the exception of abortion and gay marriage, I lean right much more than I lean left (democrat). That being said I don't want to see boots on the ground again in Iraq. However, I think the president coming flat out and saying no way to anything other than sending a few advisors over their was the wrong move. ISIS should have been made to think all options are on the table from the US.
agreed.

The Iraqi army is mostly a joke.

Look up some shit about soldiers paying half their salary to not attend, rampant corruption, etc. It's worse than the South Vietnamese Army in the Vietnam war was.

Source: Every single 11B in my family who has served over there.

If ISIS goes after Kurdistan though, that would be a different story.

Last edited:
The Iraqi army is mostly a joke.

Look up some shit about soldiers paying half their salary to not attend, rampant corruption, etc. It's worse than the South Vietnamese Army in the Vietnam war was.

Source: Every single 11B in my family who has served over there.

If ISIS goes after Kurdistan though, that would be a different story.
olololololol

Fairly sure Domon's sources kick yours in the dirt. Would bet hard money on it

olololololol

Fairly sure Domon's sources kick yours in the dirt. Would bet hard money on it
Really that's your contribution. Good job.

No seriously you win the fucking thread you goddamn shit for brains moron.

He is talking about militias and units in Baghdad. I didn't actually disagree with any of it. That's a huge fucking difference from Shiia troops assigned to Sunni towns in northern Iraq.

Or did that not occur to you?

But no, of course no one I know has actually served with the Iraqi Army, or trained them. The problems with entire units straight up sitting down in combat and not doing shit are not well documented (2 Inf,1 ID Operation Phantom Fury). In fact they are figments of my fucking imagination.

Is that better?

I do think they will be less successful in the south because the the north is essentially their home ground. The entire reason this is happening is because the government has been marginalizing one section of the population which is essentially where they are now.

Iran is a huge Shiia population thorugh. They could throw in for the main government and then ALL hell would break loose.

Last edited:

If you think they would care...