Ontopic So what the heck do we do with Iraq?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,239
Steam
mattressfish
So seriously, what do you folks think we should do? I think we all had to know that this was coming. The Sunnis were shut out of the government. It seems the only way that society deals with that kind of shit is to start killing people. So here we are with ISIS on the doorsteps of Baghdad.

Personally, I think we need to cut our loses. I know we constantly worry about destabilizing the region, but I wonder if it could come to a *slight* equilibrium if we weren't there fucking with just about everyone. So advisers, drones, boots, or something else? What is our real exposure if the country falls into civil war?

What say you?

as a non-american, I think the US should stay the fuck out of the middle east altogether, and stop trying to mold the rest of the world into their brand of democracy.

the non-republicans, I presume
Youd be wrong.

The Republicans are traditionally the non interventionist party, at least when it comes to deploying troops.

The Bushes and Iraq seem to be an aberration.

Nixon got us out of Vietnam, Reagen stopped short of deploying combat troops anywhere (Grenada doesn't count). Eisenhower forced North Korea to sign an Armistice etc.

This is all off topic though.

The real threat in Iraq is having a total government failure, i.e. Somalia. A state of total anarchy.

Also Turkey is part of Nato and mostly secular. If whatever springs up there was a launchpad for attacks against Turkey we could get drawn in anyway.

Last edited:
Also Turkey is part of Nato and mostly secular. If whatever springs up there was a launchpad for attacks against Turkey we could get drawn in anyway.

People may not believe how strong of an issue that is for us. We will do alot to keep our footprint in Turkey. It's the closest place we have to launch nukes at Mother Russia and we won't give that up.

So seriously, what do you folks think we should do? I think we all had to know that this was coming. The Sunnis were shut out of the government. It seems the only way that society deals with that kind of shit is to start killing people. So here we are with ISIS on the doorsteps of Baghdad.

Personally, I think we need to cut our loses. I know we constantly worry about destabilizing the region, but I wonder if it could come to a *slight* equilibrium if we weren't there fucking with just about everyone. So advisers, drones, boots, or something else? What is our real exposure if the country falls into civil war?

What say you?

this one is on someone else, at least as far as boots on the ground go. we've done our best to train their army. Iran and syria are both already launching counteroffensives against isis. If it gets really bad, and iraq falls entirely, israel might get involved.

I dont mind knocking out a few exceptional Bad Dudes™ with drones or tomahawks that were a threat to global security outside the region though in support. Just keep our military out of harms way on this one.

2014-06-13-Strip_Iraqi_Shitstorm_web.gif

Youd be wrong.

The Republicans are traditionally the non interventionist party, at least when it comes to deploying troops.

The Bushes and Iraq seem to be an aberration.

Nixon got us out of Vietnam, Reagen stopped short of deploying combat troops anywhere (Grenada doesn't count). Eisenhower forced North Korea to sign an Armistice etc.

This is all off topic though.

The real threat in Iraq is having a total government failure, i.e. Somalia. A state of total anarchy.

NPR was mentioning the other day on the softening of Turkey on the Kurds in Afghanistan. I think its kinda funny how the Kurds are just like, "We're fine guys. Ready to give us our own country yet?"

this one is on someone else, at least as far as boots on the ground go. we've done our best to train their army. Iran and syria are both already launching counteroffensives against isis. If it gets really bad, and iraq falls entirely, israel might get involved.

I dont mind knocking out a few exceptional Bad Dudes™ with drones or tomahawks that were a threat to global security outside the region though in support. Just keep our military out of harms way on this one.

some TV dude just recently said we need to bail. Reason: if you want freedom you have to be willing to fight for it, and there aren't many, or perhaps enough, people there (locals) that are willing to fight for it.

some TV dude just recently said we need to bail. Reason: if you want freedom you have to be willing to fight for it, and there aren't many, or perhaps enough, people there (locals) that are willing to fight for it.

what the hell is his source. Baghdad is gearing up for a full scale war, citizens and military alike. When the US was about to roll in both in 91 and 2003/4, people were fleeing their homes and leaving everything behind. Theyre not doing that now. Neighborhood militias are forming, curfews have been imposed (by the citizens), and roadblocks and checkpoints are being set up in every neighborhood.

These people are not going down without a fight.

what the hell is his source. Baghdad is gearing up for a full scale war, citizens and military alike. When the US was about to roll in both in 91 and 2003/4, people were fleeing their homes and leaving everything behind. Theyre not doing that now. Neighborhood militias are forming, curfews have been imposed (by the citizens), and roadblocks and checkpoints are being set up in every neighborhood.

These people are not going down without a fight.

If true, I want to see more of this.