WTF So, what is going on with DCF here in Florida?

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,249
Steam
asastang
Honestly I often wonder what makes cases 'high profile' while similar or more horrific ones are ignored. Occasionally we have big media shitstorms over a child death in the UK, but if you look into cases of child or baby deaths there's much worse out there every year. In Nottingham alone there's babies almost shaken to death every week and it doesn't make the papers.

I have a lot of thoughts on stuff like this but just to make it easy:

1. Social workers are underfunded
2. People need to put more blame on the people who kill the kids rather than the governmental services who cannot cope with the caseloads
3. People should be angry about this shit all the time, not just now and again when the media get hold
4. Places that never have media shitstorms probably just have more media savvy people working there so shit never gets out
5. Theres no way this ever stops or gets too much better, or even worse actually, and people who say 'its way worse than 10/20/30 years old' just mis-underestimate modern media and the 24 hour news cycle

• Gravy
Reactions: eileenbunny and fly
Here's a list of published serious case reviews from 2014 in the UK:

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/child-protection-system/case-reviews/2014/

I think 2 made the news. Tops. While it's everyones jobs to protect kids (not just social workers - health, education, probation etc all have to play their part) there's often themes running through them such as masked compliance with professionals, which is where sometimes the family get the okay because on the surface they appear to comply and improve their standards because it benefits them to get people off their back etc.

Just a sample of our case headlines:

'Death of a 4-month-old girl in October 2013, suspected to be caused by malnutrition.'
'Death of a 1-week-old in April 2013. Coroner's Inquest concluded no explanation for cause of death.'
'Serious injury of a 4-year-old girl of mixed heritage, in March 2013.'
'Death of a 19-month-old child in April 2013, as the result of a non-accidental head injury.'
'Serious head injury of a 4-month-old boy in June 2013.'
'Death of a 4-month-old baby in Summer 2013. '
'Death of a 2-day-old baby in November 2013. '
'Death of a 2-month-old baby girl in September 2013, as the result of severe head injuries. '

....and thats what was published in Nov-Oct last year. People should be angrier at awful parents and more willing to throw funds at statutory services.

I'm so confused...people with Alzheimers don't use mental health care facilities. They use hospitals and skilled nursing care. Retarded people don't use mental health care facilities either. They use doctors and skilled teachers to help them with skills and group homes and the like, unless they have co-morbid diagnoses. If Reagan had an effect on those services, I am unaware. I was talking about the closing of state mental hospitals and the cancelling of funding for state social services for people with things like schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder, those that are so mentally ill they can't function in society and often need round the clock care and monitoring. The people that are a danger to themselves and others that are now homeless people or people who are living with their parents and one day get a hold of a gun and go around killing innocent children at school for no apparent reason. Social services doesn't have enough funding and they don't have much backup from mental health professionals either. Consequently we have people throwing children off bridges. Whomever said we could afford to fix this is right. Maybe we can't fix it, but we can change it for a lot of people.