So what hacks are out there for the iPhone?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I was reading today about how the hackers getting the iPhone to work on any GSM service are going to get legal backing because of how the DMCA (or whatever) is stated. They are legal in hacking the phone.

I have also read of a hardware hack as well as a myriad of software hacks.

What is the definitive list of hacks you can perform on an iPhone to use it on any GSM carrier?

I don't think that information is out there yet. The kid sold the unlock to some cellular store in exchange for a 350z and 3 iPhones...

I don't think that information is out there yet. The kid sold the unlock to some cellular store in exchange for a 350z and 3 iPhones...

He totally undersold himself. The company that bought it will make a fortune off of that deal.

They did offer him a paid internship though :rolleyes:

A guy soldered two wires into an iPhone and got a car and three more iPhones out of it?

Apparently I'm underwhelmed by all of this, or have missed its significance.

A guy soldered two wires into an iPhone and got a car and three more iPhones out of it?

Apparently I'm underwhelmed by all of this, or have missed its significance.

It's significant that a high school kid pulled it off. But I don't see the big deal about unlocking the phone. AT&T is probably pissed to lose some exclusivity here, but I doubt a lot of people are going to run out to purchase a $500 phone just so they can use it on any system.

It's significant that a high school kid pulled it off. But I don't see the big deal about unlocking the phone. AT&T is probably pissed to lose some exclusivity here, but I doubt a lot of people are going to run out to purchase a $500 phone just so they can use it on any system.

Not just that, its a $500 phone that you could easily fuck up in the process. I understand the benefits with modding a gaming system but a 500 dollar phone just so you can use a different carrier, risk>reward

Not just that, its a $500 phone that you could easily fuck up in the process. I understand the benefits with modding a gaming system but a 500 dollar phone just so you can use a different carrier, risk>reward

I agree. You have to be an idiot or a technology super nerd to do this. I applaud the good work this kid did, but I'm not about to say this matters to cell phone users.

I have a counter strike skin for my cell so when you click the menu buttons little bullets go flying and the backgrounds are all CS related. That is about as far as I would go to mod my phone. I saw a couple more thing on motomodders that looked pretty cool but could fuck up my phone. It took me months to get my new phone cause I am lazy and can live without one but again, risk>reward. I used to buy every new pocket pc when they came out and loved it but now, if it can make phone calls then I am happy.