So what do folks think about Kant?

he's a pretty smart guy, but in all of his ethical writings, he never once addressed the problem of objective versus subjective morality - and everyone knows if you don't confront that problem - you might as well kill yourself because it's impossible to offer anything substantial to the conversation

NeedMoreEmo said:
I didn't study Psychology but I understand weirdos. :p

People with a degree in Psychology have no jobs for them here, and it's viewed as a completely soft subject nowadays. Is it the same in the US?

Pretty much.

NeedMoreEmo said:
And do you need to go to some college to learn what eleventy billion other people think the world's about? Man I hate philosophy.

Nah. I didn't learn no philosophy in no damn college. I learnt it on the streets.

NeedMoreEmo said:
I didn't study Psychology but I understand weirdos. :p

People with a degree in Psychology have no jobs for them here, and it's viewed as a completely soft subject nowadays. Is it the same in the US?

It is if you don't know what to do with your degree. I focused on Industrial/Organizational psych which is more useful in the business world. Course I have a cousin with a psych degree and she's a waitress. But I don't think she tried very hard to find the right niche to utilize her education.

NeedMoreEmo said:
I'd kinda like to have a practical job when I finish my education. But I guess you'll just reply to that with "ones education is never truly finished". :o ;)

I believe that education is it's own end.

Pandora said:
It is if you don't know what to do with your degree. I focused on Industrial/Organizational psych which is more useful in the business world. Course I have a cousin with a psych degree and she's a waitress. But I don't think she tried very hard to find the right niche to utilize her education.

All the people I know want to talk to kids with schizophrenia or do criminal profiling. Good luck to them finding a job doing that. I've given up trying to tell them going for psychology will get them nowhere.

elpmis said:
he's a pretty smart guy, but in all of his ethical writings, he never once addressed the problem of objective versus subjective morality - and everyone knows if you don't confront that problem - you might as well kill yourself because it's impossible to offer anything substantial to the conversation

I'd argue that his CI is an objective morality according to very simple precepts, but he'd say that more complicated questions aren't really questions of morality, but of societal rule.

NeedMoreEmo said:
All the people I know want to talk to kids with schizophrenia or do criminal profiling. Good luck to them finding a job doing that. I've given up trying to tell them going for psychology will get them nowhere.

It really depends on how they apply themselves, and to what. Psych is a big major because their is a lot to do in it.

If I got into psych I think I'd go into the theoretical/experimental realm...mainly because it's what interests me. Plus, it doesn't interest a lot of others. :D

ieyeasu said:
I'd argue that his CI is an objective morality according to very simple precepts, but he'd say that more complicated questions aren't really questions of morality, but of societal rule.
yup, and Kant says a lot of other stupid shit:

"To tell a falsehood to a murderer, who is in pursuit of a friend of yours who has taken refuge in your house, would be a crime." - Kant

elpmis said:
yup, and Kant says a lot of other stupid shit:

"To tell a falsehood to a murderer, who is in pursuit of a friend of yours who has taken refuge in your house, would be a crime." - Kant

Well, according to the CI, he's absolutely right.

Of course, it would also be your duty to stop the murderer.

ieyeasu said:
Well, according to the CI, he's absolutely right.

Of course, it would also be your duty to stop the murderer.
right - Kant is going to want you to tell him the truth but then stop him.

anyways, read Krishnamurti

ieyeasu said:
Philosophy is very helpful, in the most important sort of way.
see, that's your opinion.

i'm concerned with getting a good job, making my parents proud, and watching out for those around me.

i don't care about how or why all this happens, outside of a need for understanding the psychological and sociological forces at work so i can manipulate them. i don't have the time, need, or motivation to think or care about the "deep" questions put forward by most philosophers.

my classes in philosophy were enough. it's there i was convinced i wanted nothing more to do with it.