WTF So they're not turning the frogs gay...

gee

Finally a new goddamn title
Sep 29, 2012
Halifax
Marklar
₥35,518
...but TIL they're turning the fish trans. I'm 100% serious:

When they're hatching fish to grow them in fish farms, they treat them with hormones which causes a sex reversal, turning all the fish all male or female. As a result they all grow to the same larger size so you end up with more fish to sell, and they don't reproduce in the fish pens which creates a fuckton of problems.

There's no giant conspiracy or anything covering this up, there's plenty of scientific literature out there on the practice, apparently it's been a common thing in marine biology for a while and it's well-studied. There's zero concern that it has any effects on humans, and it doesn't appear to cause any animal welfare issues with the fish themselves. Environmental release of hormones from hatcheries seems to be the biggest concern - amphibians are also susceptible to sex reversal so a significant release of hormones could turn the frogs trans.

But not gay, so Alex Jones can still fuck off.

So yeah, next time you look at salmon at Costco, there's about a 50/50 chance that fish was trans. Take the moment, look at the fish in the cooler and ask yourself what in the actual fuck we're doing as a species...

• Haha
Reactions: fly
At least I know that I can buy beef, chicken, or pork and know where it comes from. If you don't live near the water, fish is very suspect.

Beef?

I saw a pickup with horse parts in the back of it outside a local butcher shop in 1989. I asked and someone said it was a full service butcher and would “take care” of fresh carcasses for locals.

I had to divert my son from seeing that as he was only 7 at the time and a horse head and legs ain’t pretty.

Beef?

I saw a pickup with horse parts in the back of it outside a local butcher shop in 1989. I asked and someone said it was a full service butcher and would “take care” of fresh carcasses for locals.

I had to divert my son from seeing that as he was only 7 at the time and a horse head and legs ain’t pretty.
Sea beef:

They're razing the Amazon to grow beef to send to us. Do you really know where your beef is coming from? Even "fresh" fish is generally frozen on the boat.
This is why I love living on the border of agricultural NS. I can drive half an hour and point at the farms where my chicken/pork/beef/eggs are coming from, and buy it all at local markets where it's cheaper than buying it from the grocery store proper.

As far as fish... all depends on what/where you're buying it. Atlantic salmon at the grocery store comes from inshore fish farms, if you get wild caught then you're probably buying bycatch off the back of a fisherman's truck in a gas station parking lot, but that's stupid hard to find.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
This is why I love living on the border of agricultural NS. I can drive half an hour and point at the farms where my chicken/pork/beef/eggs are coming from, and buy it all at local markets where it's cheaper than buying it from the grocery store proper.

As far as fish... all depends on what/where you're buying it. Atlantic salmon at the grocery store comes from inshore fish farms, if you get wild caught then you're probably buying bycatch off the back of a fisherman's truck in a gas station parking lot, but that's stupid hard to find.
I do the same thing. My friend and I buy a yearling, pay to have it slaughtered and butchered, and end up with several hundred pounds of grass-fed beef for around half what I'd pay per pound at Whole Foods and about a third of what I'd pay at the "Farm Store" butcher here in town.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Speaking of fish, since moving to JAX I have become a fiend for blackened trigger fish. Anyone else had it?

I do the same thing. My friend and I buy a yearling, pay to have it slaughtered and butchered, and end up with several hundred pounds of grass-fed beef for around half what I'd pay per pound at Whole Foods and about a third of what I'd pay at the "Farm Store" butcher here in town.
who keeps the fuckin cow? Thats a lotta work