WTF So, the San Mateo police now work for Apple

500x_gawker-legal-response1_01.jpg

A seizure warrant can't be issued in a case like this. The problem is that the police were not confiscating stolen goods. This guy was not in possession of the iphone. All he did was write the article about it. The police took his shit because he may have committed a felony in writing said article. That is against both state and federal law.

This confiscation has zero to do with stolen property laws. If they'd been there to confiscate a stolen iphone it would be perfectly acceptable. But they weren't.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know his "journalist" credential gave him some level of protection.

I should get a press credential.

Regardless, he still made a dumb move.

The dumbest move was Apple letting dipshits out into the public with the new iPhone when they are sooooooo worried about leaks.

The dumbest move was Apple letting dipshits out into the public with the new iPhone when they are sooooooo worried about leaks.

Odd that the guy who lost the phone still works for apple, but a dude who shows the Apple Cofounder a 3G ipad before it's approved for release, when he should have only shown him a regular iPad, looses his job.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know his "journalist" credential gave him some level of protection, it doesn't give him protection from committing crimes.

I should get a press credential.

Regardless, he still made a dumb move.
That whole freedom of the press thing. It gives his journalistic activities protection.

All he did was write an article. How is that a dumb move? He didn't find the phone, he didn't buy the phone. He went out of his way to call Apple and tell them about it so he could return it. The guy that originally found the phone called Apple multiple times trying to return it and they didn't want it.

Even if he was responsible for the theft, this warrant has absolutely nothing to do with that. They weren't there on a stolen property charge. They didn't arrest him, they didn't ask him where the phone was. The warrant was for materials connected to the writing of his article, things that "might" have been used to commit a felony even though that felony isn't even spelled out. This isn't about stolen property, it's about corporate intellectual property.

Last edited:
this stomping on the rights of the press sounds suspiciously like old school russia. pretty sad that it's here

this stomping on the rights of the press sounds suspiciously like old school russia. pretty sad that it's here

It's not a surprise. But don't compare it to a country.

We're evolving into a corporate republic, where the companies, not the people, control the state. It's the only thing that can explain how the banking and wall street brokers got away with raping us 2 years back without so much as a single prison term, and how the recent bills to go into the house and senate to put Wall Street in line were shot down by the government without so much as a loud peep from the press...