FYI So, the kepler telescope just found what looks like a Dyson Sphere

Then there is the other thought

We've discovered nothing in this universe that is infinite. Stars die, entire solar systems die, (die/end/whatever). hell, we even know when time began, citing that time itself is not infinite. Nothing is infinite.

We only say the universe is infinite because we haven't seen an end to it yet. I say if we discover the universe is infinite, then it will be the first true thing we have discovered that is infinite.
Numbers are infinite.

We've discovered nothing in this universe that is infinite. Stars die, entire solar systems die, (die/end/whatever). hell, we even know when time began, citing that time itself is not infinite. Nothing is infinite.

We only say the universe is infinite because we haven't seen an end to it yet. I say if we discover the universe is infinite, then it will be the first true thing we have discovered that is infinite.
ehh, things are infinite, just not in their current form. Max entropy, etc, etc. Stuff isnt gonna go away per se, its just gonna change form.

And that's all that we've been able to observe. 1000 years ago we thought everything rotated around the earth.
500 years ago, we thought the earth was flat.

Now we understand concepts like solar systems, galaxies and universes. Who's to say that in 500 years, we won't discover that the only reason all of these rules and laws centered around concentricity, are just the tip of the iceburg and that there's so much more involved between each stage. What if we find that gravity only exists because an alien life form farted in a 7th dimension? Ok, maybe a bit extreme, but you get the idea. It's highly possible that we've only scratched the surface of our knowledge of how shit works, and that in 1000 years, we'll look back at our current knowledge and laugh at our stupid selves.

Of course, this is all dependent on us surviving global warming...

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel

How can you truly observe something that is infinite?

If you reach a point and say, well, we still haven't reached the end, so there's more there... you'll never reach the end. We can assume it's inifinte, but we could never be 100% sure. That is an impossibility.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
There is one theory of a constantly inflating space "foam" where each bubble is an entire universe where inflation slowed.

right but in that there isn't a physical distance between universe. that foam/membrane is on a different...I dunno, level? than what we know as reality. since there's no edge to the universe there's no way to measure distance from where one starts and one begins

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
It started when the programmers turned on the simulation!

It's weird to me that waves only collapse when observed. Its the same thing that game engines do. If the game object is off screen, or hidden behind something, it isn't drawn to save on CPU. Then there is the idea that time is distinct, rather than fluid, just like a CPU clock. :eek:

there's an HFY story about humans discovering that the world is a simulation, eventually managing to access the admin console and break out of the VM, then 3d print ourselves and invade the creators

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
the only reason anyone repeats it is because tommy lee jones said it in men in black
Perhaps, and maybe the facts are wrong, but the point remains the same. There's been progressive advancement in the knowledge of our own universe, and there will continue to be advancement. It's just a matter of which direction that advancement goes.

right but in that there isn't a physical distance between universe. that foam/membrane is on a different...I dunno, level? than what we know as reality. since there's no edge to the universe there's no way to measure distance from where one starts and one begins
I'm pretty sure that some of foam/inflaton field theories have the foam still existing in 3d. If one of those is true, there is a very real distance between the bubbles. Unfortunately, inflation is so fast that the distance is probably like a 10,000 digit number of light years between us and the next bubble.

I'm pretty sure that some of foam/inflaton field theories have the foam still existing in 3d. If one of those is true, there is a very real distance between the bubbles. Unfortunately, inflation is so fast that the distance is probably like a 10,000 digit number of light years between us and the next bubble.
I checked, most of the distances quoted use the term infinite. Sooo... effectively there are no other other universes.

Perhaps, and maybe the facts are wrong, but the point remains the same. There's been progressive advancement in the knowledge of our own universe, and there will continue to be advancement. It's just a matter of which direction that advancement goes.

I know, just wanted to debunk that myth for the betterment of all forumkind

:iono:

I checked, most of the distances quoted use the term infinite. Sooo... effectively there are no other other universes.
From my understanding, they are a finite distance away, its just that we could never reach them since the foam is expanding faster than the speed of light. But of course there are parts of our own universe we can't travel to either (which are also a finite distance away), but that's beside the point.