So Rum...

FlamingGlory said:
Ok, so yeah I got to try 100% agave tequila sometime since all Ive had is rockgut.

Are there any type of liquor I've not tried yet?

Ive hit:

Scotch
Irish whiskey
Bourbon
Brandy
Akvavit
Vodka
Gin
Tequila - crappy kind
Rum - white
Wine - white/red
Schnapps

So there left like:

Port
Absinthe
Jager

shery, mescal, grappa, limoncello, vermouth, cognac, champagne, rye, grand marnier, and probably a ton of other liqueurs

ChikkenNoodul said:
Actually, cognac starts out as wine whereas bourbon is grain(>50% corn) whiskey

Aha. I always wondered that about cognac and never bothered to look it up.

Flamer McDickchugger said:
Aha. I always wondered that about cognac and never bothered to look it up.
Cognac is similar to brandy and Armagnac, but comes from a specific region in France, much like Champagne is a sparkling wine from a specific French region also.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I don't much care for it personally, it's VERY dry - I don't mind a dry white wine but cognac's a little much for me.

And yeah, I've had Louis XIII ;)
I'm not big on cognac,but I keep some brandy around for making sangria. I saw a guy buy 3 bottles at once around christmastime. i've never seen a bill so big at the liquor store.

Whites aren't my favourite, but I enjoy them in the summer. Year round though, I love my reds. I can't get enough of Syrah/Grenache blends lately.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I don't much care for it personally, it's VERY dry - I don't mind a dry white wine but cognac's a little much for me.

And yeah, I've had Louis XIII ;)

They sell a couple bottles of that at one of the big liquor stores in town for about $87 million each. :rolleyes:

reverendsaintjay said:
If your experience with Wine can be summed up by White/Red I'd say you had a bit more work to do in that area. :D

At the very least you should be able to tell the difference between Varietals (Cabernet, Merlot, Zinfandel, Pinot, Shiraz, Chardonnay, etc.) You should also get to know some of the different styles (pinot gris vs. pinot grigio for example). Third on the 'Wine to do' list would be regional sampling (german, french, italian, californian, australian, south american, etc.)

You also need to add Sake to the list.
I live in the largest win producing region on the eastern seaboard. I've had them all, and they dont impress me. I mean, it's a little stronger than beer, kinda refreshing but meh.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Occasionally I'll have a merlot or cabernet at a steak joint, but I usually only buy bottles of riesling or gewurztraminer for myself
Reisling is the number 1 local wine around here. It is AWESOME with Chinese food. Also, you can go to the individual vineyards and get it cheap.