So My Mom Told Me This Story Last Night

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
Houston
Marklar
₥60,587
...the teacher whose family this happened to is a teachers aide of some sort to my mom. Thought it was a pretty tragic story. After reading it looks like her husband also worked at the school as a PE teacher.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou061010_ac_carintooffice.25cc54c5.html

Mother of 8 dies when son drives van into dentist's office

07:30 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 11, 2006

From 11 News staff reports

Jeremy Desel's 11 News report

Students at the Humble Christian School are caring for their classmates and coach after his wife was killed in a tragic accident.

The flags at the school fly at half mast out of respect for Lisa Lewis, the wife of a P.E. teacher at the school, who was known to most everyone there.
Also online

Crash scene

“She was a very outgoing, joyful, just bubbly woman. You know, with seven or eight kids, you gotta be pretty bubbly to survive the day,” said school administrator Ted Howell.

The mother of eight was killed Tuesday when her 12-year-old son drove their van through the glass wall of a Monarch dental office in Humble.

Two others were critically injured.

“I heard a scream. There was a scream. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It was kind of surreal,” said witness Mark Rabinovitch. “I was just looking over here and the next thing I knew, I just saw this van go straight and I didn’t realize it was going through a wall.”

Humble police said Lewis waited near the building while her 17-year-old and 12-year-old sat in the van. She motioned to her boys to pull the van closer because of the rain. The younger child was behind the wheel and, according to police, accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake.

“The 17-year-old’s telling us that, in fact, his brother did drive the vehicle and he assisted him when he showed him how to shift the gears and ease over and said it was an accident when he hit the accelerator instead of the brakes,” said Sgt. Ken Theis, Humble police department.

Another victim, Sesha Barefield, waited with her patient. She spoke to 11 News by phone from her hospital room Wednesday. She said the van appeared to be stopping at the curb, but then it just “smashed on the gas. “All I could see was the grill coming at us. We were pushed 25 feet into the building,” she said.

“Looking at her, the next thing she sees her saying, ‘no,’ then the next thing she knows she’s just being pushed,” Barefield’s sister-in-law Tina Thomas said.

The van plowed through the front of the dental office.

Once inside the office, the ceiling collapsed on them.

Barefield told her sister-in-law she was trapped under another victim.

“And she said she kinda remembered hearing, ‘mommy no, I’m sorry,’ and then she hears, ‘where’s Loretta?” Thomas said.

Fellow employee Loretta Henderson was also critically injured.

“It’s very difficult to comprehend, you know that they were there, they were a part of it, they saw it. One of the things they have to remember is the last view they saw of their mom. So that’s ever present on their mind and it will take time,” said Howell.

Accident investigators believe Lewis may have thought her 17-year-old was in the driver’s seat, but he wasn’t.

Police said the child must have panicked and hit the accelerator instead of the brakes. They don’t know why the younger child was behind the wheel in the first place.

KHOU

The van's windshield was covered with debris from inside the office.

“We’re trying to put the dots together on this one is that older brother was asked to move the van, little brother said ‘Hey, it’s not that far, I can do it, I can do it’ and older brother said, “Go ahead,” and it was unfortunate and definitely an accident when he hit the accelerator when he approached the building,” said Scroggins.

Lewis was pronounced dead about an hour later, at around 2 p.m. The two others who were injured are employees of the dental office and suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Both were admitted to Northeast Medical Center.

Barefield, 30 was being treated for a concussion and evaluated for a broken hip and possible spinal injuries. Henderson, 43, is also suffering from a concussion and a massive cut from her knee to her heel that will require surgery.

From her hospital bed, Barefield can’t place blame. She can only forgive and pray for the Lewis family.

“Her heart goes out to them, you know, and she knows that he’s gonna have to live with that for the rest of his life,” Thomas said.

Lewis and her husband ran the Call To Glory Dance Studio for years in Humble and are now involved with another dance studio. Jeff Lewis, her husband, is a dancer and is abroad in Israel.

We were told he had been notified of the accident and is seeking emergency transportation back to the states.

The Lewises have eight children. The two who were involved in the accident will be staying with a grandmother and an aunt.

Five of the eight children attend the school, which has set up a fund to help the family.

Humble police said they would be forwarding all information about the case to the Harris County District Attorney’s office. It would be their decision if any charges would be filed against the 12-year-old.

Slide Show: http://www.khou.com/perl/common/slideshow/sspop.pl?recid=1968&location=www.khou.com

Cliffs: Family went to dentist. It was pouring out, mom gave keys to the 17 year old son to pull the van up for her. 17 year old let the 12 year old drive instead and he hit the gas instead of the brakes and killed his mother. The scream coming from the boy is said to be the most chilling noise the other women that were hit have heard.

Holy crap! I didn't hear anything about this on the news. Hell, there was a house fire two blocks from us and not only did it not make the news but neither Drool nor I heard the sirens!

My mom then proceeded to tell me that the 17 year old said, "I've been giving my mom lots of problems lately and now I finally killed her."

Mom says it was a childish cry for help... which makes sense.. but wow.

You heartless prick. How dare you say she's not a hero. After I run you down you'll wish people called you a hero. Instead they'll buy me stuff and suckle on my cockle as praise.

Not heartless, just reflecting on how nothing really means anything in this country anymore. You don't fly flags at half mast because a PE teacher's wife dies in an accident. It's absurd, but I'm not surprised. When the retarded laymen of a country are given the ability to make those kinds of decisions, you can expect them to be retarded and lay in nature.

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day.

On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff.

By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff.

The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress.

The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day.

As used in this subsection —

the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and

the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

Not heartless, just reflecting on how nothing really means anything in this country anymore. You don't fly flags at half mast because a PE teacher's wife dies in an accident. It's absurd, but I'm not surprised. When the retarded laymen of a country are given the ability to make those kinds of decisions, you can expect them to be retarded and lay in nature.
Does Sarcasmo mean you suck at detecting sarcasm?

I think Wonko was being sarcastic. I think someone with the name "Sarcasmo" should have been able to pick that up.