so my credit card number was stolen

fly said:
You are required by Visa, Amex, Mastercard, and Discover to sign them. Without signing the cards, you aren't agreeing to pay for the items bought with the card.

Other than that, very good info.

i've been doing this for years and never once had a problem. i've never heard this before. people have gotten better about asking for my id. i've even written "check id" on my debit card.

Bubbles said:
Oy...what is the world coming to when oy is a hot phrase, you shlamiel. :)

Hey you can call me a shlimazl or even a shmendrick, but never a shlemiel, you sill nafka.

fly said:
Better yet, just call one of the Big Three and have a fraud alert put on your file. I *think* once you call one, they all alert the others...
Yup you are right.
Although a good idea, it can be a pain in the ass when trying to apply for credit.
The company I work for, for instance, if we see that you have put a fraud alert on any of your credit bureau's- it will be a pain to get credit from us. We usually require (this is after applying and the credit bureau being pulled) that you send additional information to us. Ie: bank statement or utility bill less then 3 months old and copy of SSN to prove identity.

It's just an extra step, but it can be a pain in the ass none the less. Specially if you are uneasy about sending in the extra info...

Thorn Bird said:
i've been doing this for years and never once had a problem. i've never heard this before. people have gotten better about asking for my id. i've even written "check id" on my debit card.
I never sign my card... but you should put something in that space, otherwise the dipshit salesperson will say, "I can't take this if it isn't signed" then I say, "Got a pen?" :tard: This has actually happened

zengirl said:
I never sign my card... but you should put something in that space, otherwise the dipshit salesperson will say, "I can't take this if it isn't signed" then I say, "Got a pen?" :tard: This has actually happened

actually, as you say this, i remember one time at the post office she couldn't take my card which had "check ID" on it...she said to sign it and then over it put "check ID" so my signature is on it but it also says to ask for my license. that's a good idea, too, i think.

Useful- one stop shopping for all your credit report needs:
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Useless:
Oddly enough, the few times I remember clerks actually scrutinizing my signature has been at the bookstore for amounts around $10.

Whereas, the times I've gone to Bestbuy or some such and dropped hundreds, the clerks did not notice that the signature I used on their receipt was very different from the one on the back of my card.

Go figure!

lemon_fresh said:

Useless:
Oddly enough, the few times I remember clerks actually scrutinizing my signature has been at the bookstore for amounts around $10.

Whereas, the times I've gone to Bestbuy or some such and dropped hundreds, the clerks did not notice that the signature I used on their receipt was very different from the one on the back of my card.

Go figure!
Yeah, the supermarkets tend to look a lot more in my experience

And restaurants obviously never check

Thorn Bird said:
Try using it at the Post Office like that...

lemon_fresh said:

Useless:

Go figure!
Flynavy NEVER signs his own name.

Last time he took me to a very nice italian place, the bill was right around $100, he signed, Tony Soprano

:fly:

His standard is "Stolen Card"

Nobody has ever once said anything.

fly said:
You are required by Visa, Amex, Mastercard, and Discover to sign them. Without signing the cards, you aren't agreeing to pay for the items bought with the card.

Other than that, very good info.

And how will they know if you don't sign the back of your card? :wtf:

I have "See ID" on the back of all of mine and have never had a problem.