so my credit card number was stolen

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
has this happened to any of y'all? this month i noticed a charge that spange nor i made, and it had happened last month, too. last month's charge was $9 something, and this month's charge was $9 something, different cent amount. last month i disputed the charge, no biggie. this month i cancelled the account and they moved me to a different number.

question is: do i need to do anything else? how would someone get my number, and would they have any other info of mine?

I had that happen to me once. Someone charged $300 to my card. I disputeded it and had them issue me a new card. I didn't have any other problems with my credit after that. Just to be safe you might want to get a credit report from Equifax n'stuff.

Are you SURE its someone using your number and not spange on a 900 line? If someone finds your number, they usually do some pretty big damage. For instance, I had $900 charged to a moving company in CA...

Very odd. Keep an eye on the rest of your accounts and may want to check your credit record.

Ebay contacted me about 2 weeks ago becuase someone had hacked into my account and was doing a fake sell for a motorcycle. Ebay caught it really quick and shut my account down until I talked with them.

b_sinning said:
Very odd. Keep an eye on the rest of your accounts and may want to check your credit record.

Ebay contacted me about 2 weeks ago becuase someone had hacked into my account and was doing a fake sell for a motorcycle. Ebay caught it really quick and shut my account down until I talked with them.
did they ask for your password? :fly:

my guess is that someone is trying to use it every month in hopes that i wouldn't check my statement. something under $10 might not get a victim to notice anything. thing is...i do check, and i pay no interest, so any balance other than what i left it is going to make me question.

and it wasn't as exciting as a 900 number. it was for some screen saver. spange paying for a screen saver makes me laugh!!!

but how would someone have gotten my number???

*Fuxx Burger* said:
I work for a major US credit card company- I highly reccomend you do this :)

ooo!! i'm sure i have one of your cards and have probably talked to you before. :) i'd love to know which one you work for, if you are up for telling me..

i had a friend work for american express a while back, and it was neat how much i learned from him! that's where i found out about the beacon score!

*Fuxx Burger* said:
I work for a major US credit card company- I highly reccomend you do this :)
Better yet, just call one of the Big Three and have a fraud alert put on your file. I *think* once you call one, they all alert the others...

I know that a major database company was compromised last month and a lot of cards numbers got out. My bank just reissued everyone new cards, even if you didn't have any problems, to be safe. There may have been something there that leaked your card number.

Thorn Bird said:
my guess is that someone is trying to use it every month in hopes that i wouldn't check my statement. something under $10 might not get a victim to notice anything. thing is...i do check, and i pay no interest, so any balance other than what i left it is going to make me question.

and it wasn't as exciting as a 900 number. it was for some screen saver. spange paying for a screen saver makes me laugh!!!

but how would someone have gotten my number???
do you have a pay pal account?

This happened to me once before as well. Someone took the card number and charged random things from Amway online, to the tune of about $500. The only problem was that they charged items less than $20, and had them shipped to different addresses all over the US. I disputed the charges and they removed them but they said because everything was shipped to different addresses, they could not charge one individual with grand theft (should they catch them) because all the charges were seperate and under a certain dollar amount.

I second the idea that you need to get a credit report. They will send you one free per year, if you contact Equifax directly. We pulled Shawn's about a year ago and there was an $8000.00 account in collections that did not belong to him. It took a month to clear it up.

I've had it happen around 4 times in the past 5 years... it's from online vendors having their customer databases compromised

fly said:
Better yet, just call one of the Big Three and have a fraud alert put on your file. I *think* once you call one, they all alert the others...

Here's some good general legal advice from a corporate attorney. But because I'm not a lawyer yet and I'm the one posting it, we are going to call it "law-centric wisdom" instead of "legal advice" in order to avoid liability.

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first
name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

3. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks.
(DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all : (I never even thought to do this.)

3. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away This weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc., has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

Lame-o said:
2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".
You are required by Visa, Amex, Mastercard, and Discover to sign them. Without signing the cards, you aren't agreeing to pay for the items bought with the card.

Other than that, very good info.

Candy said:
We pulled Shawn's about a year ago and there was an $8000.00 account in collections that did not belong to him. It took a month to clear it up.

Yeah, it was charged for one of these:

3some.jpg

...and boy are they hard to hide from momma...