so...jersey shore boi?

my little brony

Keep Being A Little Bitch
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥21,495
For the past year I've been part of a unit that...technically doesn't exist. Not as cool as it sounds, it's just paperwork and funding magic that causes it. As of the end of this fiscal year, the unit really doesn't exist and we've all had to find new units. As of recently I've been transferred to another one at the same site, the same people who provide us with admin and supply support but we don't answer to. There's a bit of friction because of that last part.

Today I was given the option to go with my operations chief - a gunny, he's our senior enlisted - to a more traditional air wing unit in New Jersey. Well, right now they're in Willow Grove, Pa. but will be moving to a new facility at McGuire AFB near Trenton, NJ. Don't know how long I have to make this decision but it's a good opportunity to actually do the job I was trained to do and more importantly, finally deploy.

Right now I travel a lot for work. I spend one to three weeks at a different base then move onto the next. Probably come home twice a month, if that. Usually one of those is for a drill weekend. I still have a place in Chicago but I'm rarely ever there and I've been thinking of just putting the rest of my stuff in storage and not having to bother paying rent anymore. This really came up about a month ago when we got a call from a lawyer saying that our landlord hasn't been keeping up with the mortgage and the place might be going into foreclosure. Haven't heard anything since then, though. Roommate's also been thinking of moving back to Michigan but it depends on when his s/o can find a job out there.

Anyways, the way I see it I have a few options.

1. Stay where I am, both residentially and otherwise. Fly home for drill weekends at Great Mistakes. If roommate heads back to Michigan, not a big deal because I'm on the road almost all the time.

2. Stay living in Chicago but fly to New Jersey for drill weekends until/if I get active duty orders and have to move there. This is dependent on the contract my company has with the government. They may have a requirement that says on weekends I fly "home" I have to go to where I actually have an address, not just a city of my choosing. They may have an exception for drill because it's a DoD contract and a lot of employees are ex and current military.

3. Move to NJ totally. For now I'd leave most of my junk in the Chicago storage unit because lord knows I don't feel like moving it all but I'd probably just get a ridiculously cheap apartment since I'm still going to be on the road 98% of the time. I probably wouldn't complete the move unless I got orders to active duty and had to stop traveling.

I may or may not be considering other options I haven't thought of. And I may have forgotten key pieces of information; either way, I wanted to use you guys as a sounding board while I consider this.

hopefully I figure something out before the next time gunny calls me up and says "hey I need a decision"

IceKissAndAim418.gif

There's not much to do or nice areas to go to in NJ in your offtime if you plan to move there. There's the beach and boardwalk.......... that's about it. And I should know. Born and raised there for 13 yrs of my life.

I'm confused. are you guys talking about the intro to this song?

Last edited by a moderator:
New Jersey, The garden state
if you are growing EPA Superfund Sites

There's also a few historical sites, particularly in southwestern side of NJ, if you're into visiting that stuff. Like Ft. Mott and whatnot.

Gun laws notwithstanding - hell I carry half the time regardless - living in chicago is actually pretty cool.

Doing this transfer would be good for my mil career. I wouldn't actually have to live there until I activate which may not happen soon. Once I do I don't really care about what there is to do in the area. More concerned with school choices.