So, itunes 6.

taeric

Flaccid Member
May 6, 2005
Marklar
₥0
I see with ITunes 6 you can now legally download episodes of tv shows the day after they air. Any thoughts on this? I'm actually intrigued. 2 bucks isn't even a bad price, depending on the quality. It is a shame I wouldn't be able to play the episodes on, for example, a PSP.

taeric said:
I see with ITunes 6 you can now legally download episodes of tv shows the day after they air. Any thoughts on this? I'm actually intrigued. 2 bucks isn't even a bad price, depending on the quality. It is a shame I wouldn't be able to play the episodes on, for example, a PSP.
It's 320 x 240, will only play through iTunes or a Video iPod and right now that service isn't available. You can only download some videos and some of Lost, Desperate Housewives, Night Stalker, That’s So Raven, The Suite Life. The DL the episode after it airs thing won't kick in for a while.

While its interesting, when you figure that a season worth of episodes would cost you $40 to DL, its 25% the quality of DVD, and its got icky DRM all over it, its not really a deal in my eyes.

My question is why the hell Apple thinks a Video iPod is going to take off. No one really cared about the iPod Photo and other PMPs have bombed out.

I could see a video IPod doing much better than the photo. I rarely want to sit and look at photos, but if I had a commute I would consider watching a movie/tv show.

Though, I agree about the DRM crap. I'm not a fan of that. I didn't know what the quality of it was. i was hoping it would be better than 320x240, though. That just flat out sucks.

taeric said:
I could see a video IPod doing much better than the photo. I rarely want to sit and look at photos, but if I had a commute I would consider watching a movie/tv show.

Though, I agree about the DRM crap. I'm not a fan of that. I didn't know what the quality of it was. i was hoping it would be better than 320x240, though. That just flat out sucks.
I'm waiting for someone to look at this new Apple Front Row and proclaim that Apple has invented the media center PC.

theacoustician said:
I'm waiting for someone to look at this new Apple Front Row and proclaim that Apple has invented the media center PC.

Bound to happen. I'll be even more amused when we hear that MS has copied it. :)

Drool-Boy said:
sounds like a real piece of crap
why would they even bother with this thing?
Because people are dumb and will buy anything that's in style.

I don't get why people still buy Apple computers. Who wants a PC made by an mp3 player company?

theacoustician said:
Because people are dumb and will buy anything that's in style.

I don't get why people still buy Apple computers. Who wants a PC made by an mp3 player company?

as I type this on my Mac, I wonder myself.

I was thinkin' earlier that it sucks that I use a Mac more than a PC these days. Though, no more 'blue form, brown box' for me. :)

SpangeMonkee said:
programming wise, I'm sure. nice to compile opensource apps. woo hoo.

The more and more I use a Mac, I relize how more and more it makes me be less productive. From the mouse, to the HOME/END keys to the lame as finder interface. :barf:
But its pretty. Studies have shown that people think a GUI is easier if its pretty rather than being more functional.

Ipod has that fantic fan base that will buy anything new as long as it has the damn apple logo on it. Ipod video is an ok concept but poor execution. Hopefully someone else will pick up the idea and expand on it properily.

theacoustician said:
But its pretty. Studies have shown that people think a GUI is easier if its pretty rather than being more functional.

well, I can see how the Mac makes it simpler by not giving you enough info. don't wanna overload anyone with information. but when I'm dealing with numerous versions of files in multiple places all day, I hate spending so much time scrolling back and forth to see where I am. etc. etc.. etc.. I'm trying to convince my boss to buy me a dual p4. doubt it will happen though.

b_sinning said:
Ipod has that fantic fan base that will buy anything new as long as it has the d*mn apple logo on it. Ipod video is an ok concept but poor execution. Hopefully someone else will pick up the idea and expand on it properily.
People have done very nice PMPs in the past, included all the software needed to make encoding video to them 1-button simple, and they still haven't taken off. I just don't think people are that interested in portable video playback, especially when for a few hundred more, you can get a full fledged laptop that can do so much more.

theacoustician said:
People have done very nice PMPs in the past, included all the software needed to make encoding video to them 1-button simple, and they still haven't taken off. I just don't think people are that interested in portable video playback, especially when for a few hundred more, you can get a full fledged laptop that can do so much more.

Well, laptop and in-your-pocket are two different things. the thing fueling the ipod is advertising. hell, they covered all of 5-Points MARTA station with crap. People need to be told what to buy. Most people are NOT well-informed consumers that price shop and feature compare. They buy what they see in commercials and on posters. I haven't seen any other portable music player do any advertising beyond a few things by Sony.

theacoustician said:

The only catch here is that UMDs are selling surprisingly well.