So, I'm working to finish off the basement...

smileynev said:
Ours are 8 feet. Its a walkout basment. Actually, one side is 8 feet plus 1/12 inches do to a stepdown upstairs.

Go to www.armstrong.com and take a look at their ceilings. They have some plank and tile ceilings that take about an inch off of the overall height. They look much better then a dropped ceiling, but don't appear to offer the same kind of access if you need it.

Nice, thanks! :)

ChikkenNoodul said:
That probably won't pass building code, at least not where I used to live

It's okay if you don't care about getting permits :D

Well..... that's a good point you got there. I know I'll probably be going to hell for this, but I kinda figured what they don't know won't hurt 'em.

We pulled down the old ceiling that was basically 1/4" plywood because it was just so damn ugly, and we're looking to get something halfway decent to put back up.

BigDov said:
Well..... that's a good point you got there. I know I'll probably be going to hell for this, but I kinda figured what they don't know won't hurt 'em.

We pulled down the old ceiling that was basically 1/4" plywood because it was just so damn ugly, and we're looking to get something halfway decent to put back up.
I personally think the whole building permit process for working on your own house is a load of bullshit, so no judgement from me there :D

ChikkenNoodul said:
I personally think the whole building permit process for working on your own house is a load of bullshit, so no judgement from me there :D

:) cool..... have to agree with you on that one though. Especially when it's just some bullshit like a basement ceiling.

there are pretty nice drop ceilings you can get now. Different size tiles, etc... and it won't resemble an office.