WTF So I'm using my engineering powers for evil again.

fly - if you think you'll order one in the new year, I'll order the parts in - I'm about to order parts for a different project in a couple of days.

Project #2 is a Raspberry Pi based backup machine that I'm stuffing in my barn.

It's a box that sits on my wireless LAN and pulls data from my computers - so if my house burns down or whatever, I haven't lost anything. I'm putting it in a watertight Pelican box left over from work so it's weatherproof. Guts are a Raspberry Pi card, a USB wireless card, a couple of USB hard drives, a 12V lead acid battery, and a "pi power card" that I'm designing for it.

The "pi power card" integrates a solar-panel-compatible 12V battery charger, a pair of 12V->5V switching regulators, a USB hub, and a USB microcontroller that runs the card and makes the thing act like a UPS. I'm hoping to sell it in quantity when I'm done with it.

I bought the housewarez.net domain years ago for a warez site I ran at my house many years back. Contemplated turning it into a site for selling electronics gadgets like my nixie clocks, but haven't had the ambition.

"Housewarez - l33t up your house"

Except I think l33t sp33k is pretty much dead.

I bought the housewarez.net domain years ago for a warez site I ran at my house many years back. Contemplated turning it into a site for selling electronics gadgets like my nixie clocks, but haven't had the ambition.

I miss it. Bring it back.

Which is a boon for humanity that it is

I took an old point-n-shoot Kodak apart and removed the IR filter from it. TV-B-Gone action shot:

2Lfao.jpg

I'll be using this to focus a telescope shortly... with the eyepiece replaced with a high power IR diode :hi2u:

And another change of plan - spent half the evening reading up on flashlights and browsing dealextreme. Might buy a 18650 flashlight body, put in a 5W IR LED and reprogram an AVR based driver with TV-B-Gone code. We'll see..

So, it seems to me like dealxtreme is the modern day radio Shack. I always just thought it was a scammy Chinese website

So, it seems to me like dealxtreme is the modern day radio Shack. I always just thought it was a scammy Chinese website
It's still a bit sketchy. Lots of things on there are fake/counterfeit. As a general rule I only order things from them if it's something I can fix myself, or it's cheap enough to not care if it breaks or if it's fake.

Asa: harbor freight, autozone, etc. carries all that stuff.

It's still a bit sketchy. Lots of things on there are fake/counterfeit. As a general rule I only order things from them if it's something I can fix myself, or it's cheap enough to not care if it breaks or if it's fake.

Asa: harbor freight, autozone, etc. carries all that stuff.

I meant bulk amounts for cheapish.

I posted in the clock thread that I got it. Dad absolutely loved it, is going to take it into work and show their IT guy/E.E. nerd the clock and possibly lord it over him.
As an upshot to this, you might have another kit to sell.

Also, did not realize you signed your work till dad asked if the name on the clock was you.