So, I'm going in for a drug test today...

If you max out each time you do a set of reps, you're doing it wrong.

smileynev said:
If you max out each time you do a set of reps, you're doing it wrong.

:lol:

I'm currently in a cutting phase so I'm doing 3 sets of 16 with less than a minute between sets.

When I bulk, I do 3 sets of 6 where the weight is set to where I can't to anymore than 4-6 reps per set.

Coqui said:
When you can't lift anymore, I guarantee if you waited a couple of minutes, you'd be able to lift the same weight again.

If you're truly going to failure, you won't be able to lift it as many reps, if any.

smileynev said:
If you're truly going to failure, you won't be able to lift it as many reps, if any.

Let's take a look.
During my bulking workout, my first excercise was a flat bench press.
I did 3 reps of 6. I can guarantee you, there was no way in hell I could do another rep (believe me I tried and could barely get the bar up more than an inch on the 7th rep)

So according to your logic, I should not have been able to do my vertical chest, chest flies, and cable crossovers after that. But I did. They all work the same muscle.

Coqui said:
Let's take a look.
During my bulking workout, my first excercise was a flat bench press.
I did 3 reps of 6. I can guarantee you, there was no way in hell I could do another rep (believe me I tried and could barely get the bar up more than an inch on the 7th rep)

So according to your logic, I should not have been able to do my vertical chest, chest flies, and cable crossovers after that. But I did. They all work the same muscle.
If you were able to lift it up at all you weren't going to failure. As to the other workouts, obviously they were working different portions of the muscle at different angles, otherwise they would serve no purpose.

smileynev said:
If you were able to lift it up at all you weren't going to failure. As to the other workouts, obviously they were working different portions of the muscle at different angles, otherwise they would serve no purpose.

You don't understand th epoint of failure then. Failure means you can't do another rep on that set.

flat bench press and vertical chest work the chest muscles the same way.

Coqui said:
You don't understand th epoint of failure then. Failure means you can't do another rep on that set.

flat bench press and vertical chest work the chest muscles the same way.

Thats exactly what I said. You are unable to lift the weight back up without a spotter.

Why do two lifts that work the same exact muscle in the exact same way?

smileynev said:
Thats exactly what I said. You are unable to lift the weight back up without a spotter.

Why do two lifts that work the same exact muscle in the exact same way?

But if you weight a couple minutes you will be able to lift the same weight again. Now granted the further you go in your workout, the less apt that will be able to happen.

A Rowing machine works your biceps and back. If I did a dumbell row, that would work the same biceps and back muscles. Just I'm doing it a different way.

Coqui said:
But if you weight a couple minutes you will be able to lift the same weight again. Now granted the further you go in your workout, the less apt that will be able to happen.

A Rowing machine works your biceps and back. If I did a dumbell row, that would work the same biceps and back muscles. Just I'm doing it a different way.

Thats a how, not a why. Why work the same muscle in the same way?

Coqui said:
To keep the workout interesting. You keep doing the same exact workout, it will be as boring as running on a treadmill.

understandable, but why do them during the same session?

smileynev said:
understandable, but why do them during the same session?

Because working out the same muscle group more than once a week leads to overtraining defeating the purpose of working out in the first place (which is strength gains)

Coqui said:
To keep the workout interesting. You keep doing the same exact workout, it will be as boring as running on a treadmill.
And more importantly, even though different lifts work the same muscle group, they also work different secondary/stabilizing/whateveritscalled muscles...

And you cant do the same schedule all the time, or your body will become used to it...