So I'm getting a new computer

eileenbunny said:
So now that the computer has been ordered and is on it's way, IBWIP and I have come to a very important decision we need to make. We don't know what to name the machine when it gets here. We have Homer, Gilgamesh, and Herodotus already. We had Monty and Armando, but they have been decommissioned :(. Anyway, we are thinking ancient historical figure here. Any suggestions?

Lil' Saint.

(he is going to be an ancient historical figure in 600 years or so, might as well get the jump, right?)

eileenbunny said:
So now that the computer has been ordered and is on it's way, IBWIP and I have come to a very important decision we need to make. We don't know what to name the machine when it gets here. We have Homer, Gilgamesh, and Herodotus already. We had Monty and Armando, but they have been decommissioned :(. Anyway, we are thinking ancient historical figure here. Any suggestions?

Oderus Urungus ftw

or maybe Barbarosa.

Last edited:
Just checked the order status... It was assembled today! :happy:
The expected ship date is the 12th, so that means a week or so of burn-in goodness.

I specifically asked them to do a good burn-in on it since RMAing shit, even under warranty, would cost me extra money. It's nice to know they're fulfilling my request.

itburnswhenipee said:
Just checked the order status... It was assembled today! :happy:
The expected ship date is the 12th, so that means a week or so of burn-in goodness.

I specifically asked them to do a good burn-in on it since RMAing shit, even under warranty, would cost me extra money. It's nice to know they're fulfilling my request.
Wait... You're not building this one yourself?

CletusJones said:
weaksauce, it's no fun to buy them pre-assembled. :(

I used to believe that, but no more. It's a computer, not legos. If I wanted to assemble computers I'd go get a $6/hr job at compusa or something.

Besides, it's better to have some shmuck 2000 miles away find the bad part and replace it with another one off the shelf than it is for me to send the bad part 2000 miles back to the vendor.

itburnswhenipee said:
I used to believe that, but no more. It's a computer, not legos. If I wanted to assemble computers I'd go get a $6/hr job at compusa or something.

Besides, it's better to have some shmuck 2000 miles away find the bad part and replace it with another one off the shelf than it is for me to send the bad part 2000 miles back to the vendor.
I thought you worked at CompUSA?

itburnswhenipee said:

If you're building a high end machine, it pays to build it yourself. Your avereage run of the mill budget PC, no point in building anymore.

Coqui said:
If you're building a high end machine, it pays to build it yourself. Your avereage run of the mill budget PC, no point in building anymore.

I'm curious: Why does it pay to do it yourself? If you specify every part going into the machine it shouldn't matter who assembles it.

itburnswhenipee said:
I'm curious: Why does it pay to do it yourself? If you specify every part going into the machine it shouldn't matter who assembles it.

$$$

Machine I've spec'd out recently cost me $1700 to build. Dell sells that same machine for $4800

Coqui said:
$$$

Machine I've spec'd out recently cost me $1700 to build. Dell sells that same machine for $4800

See, that's the thing... the place I order from has very competitive prices. I wouldn't be saving anything by building myself. Plus, I can order without any software, which is nice.

itburnswhenipee said:
See, that's the thing... the place I order from has very competitive prices. I wouldn't be saving anything by building myself. Plus, I can order without any software, which is nice.

Our machines aren't exactly considered high end anymore.

itburnswhenipee said:
but. its like working on your own car. its the fun of it! The sport! I may have to revoke your geek card.

itburnswhenipee said:

Companies like Dell (and I'm not sure your chosen company is) put crap parts into their machine. It isn't enough to say I want 2 gigs of RAM anymore. They will put in some refurbished off-brand RAM that is some crappy value ram that is clocked really slow.

My last dell came new with a refurbished DVD Burner, a refurbished HDD, crappy memory, and the whole thing was built with no potential for upgrade.

Example: My Dell came with on board video or an optional extra AGP card. I had a decent AGP graphics card that I planned to put in there when I got the PC so I ordered it without the extra Video Card. They REMOVED the AGP slot! I could even see the tin spots where it should be stuck on the board, they just left it off.

There were 2 memory slots on the board, I ordered a gig of memory and of course they gave me 2 x 512 sticks so to upgrade I would have to throw one away and buy bigger than I would have had to otherwise.

As I said above, the DVD Burner was a refurbished Phillips which died, was replaced with another refurbished part, then replaced, and it died again all in 1 year.

I could go on but you get the idea. Build your own and you can not only get more power and quality parts for less money, but you can plan for the future and have the ability to upgrade instead of having to buy another full system.

Edit: And they didn't even leave space to mount a second hard drive...they removed the tin mountable space from both the 5.25 bays and the 3.25 bays so that nothing more than what they put in there would fit. Then they told me they would charge me 65 bucks plus shipping for the mount parts that of course are custom only for a Dell case. Bastards.

Last edited:
fly said:
but. its like working on your own car. its the fun of it! The sport! I may have to revoke your geek card.

10 years in the industry have stripped most of the joy from such activites. Hell, I spend two years as a field tech disassembling everything with a Dell logo on it.

Don't worry, though, I'll still have fun tweaking the cmos and OS settings.

Dells are good for nothing beyond target practice. And yes, a .45 S&W will completely penetrate a hard drive from 5 feet away.