So I'm getting a new computer

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
I have recently taken leave of my senses and am now consumed by the desire to get a new PC. I've speced one out, but figured I'd see what you guys think since I haven't been paying attention to hardware recently. Maybe you can save me from paying too much for my muffler.

CPU : (939-pin) AMD Athlon64 3500+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY
VIDEO CARDS : 2 NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GS 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
HARD DRIVE : 160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Optical Drive : LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
Power Supply : 450 watts

Total cost? $1111

I'd congratulate you, but I'm still pissed at you for calling me a hick.:p

edit: nice system though, I think it'll serve you well.

Last edited:
Is that the SLI-Premium? iirc, the premium is the only one with 2-8x PCI-E or maybe its all the SLI. Im not sure, check it out tho.

edit: Dual core AMD ftw...

fly said:
Is that the SLI-Premium? iirc, the premium is the only one with 2-8x PCI-E or maybe its all the SLI. Im not sure, check it out tho.

edit: Dual core AMD ftw...

PCI Specs
- 2 x PCI Express x16 slot
*SLI mode : x8 , x8
*Default(Single VGA) mode : x16, x1
- 2 x PCI Express x1
- 3 x PCI

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=98&type=expert

I'm also considering the GigaByte GA-K8N-SLI. It'll save me $30.

Processor Support: Socket 939 supports AMD Athlon64 X2⁄ 64 FX⁄ 64
Chipset:
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI MCPs (media and communication processors)
Super I⁄O: ITE IT8712 chip
Integrated peripherials
CICADA8201 Gigabit LAN PHY chip
Realtek ALC850 Audio AC`97 Codec FSB support: 2000 MHz
Memory:
Type: Dual channel DDR400⁄ 333⁄ 266 -184pin
Max capacity: Up to 4GB by 4 DIMM slots
FSB: 2000MHz
On-Board VGA: N⁄A
Graphics interface: PCI-Express X16
PCI:
PCI-Express X16 (X8): 2
PCI-Express X1 (X2,X4): 2
PCI: 2
Audio: ALC 850
USB Ports: 10 (6 by cable)
LAN: CICADA 8201 phy
RAID: SATA PATA RAID0,RAID1, RAID0+1
SCSI: N⁄A
Form Factor: ATX

agreed on dual core
and what are the benches looking like these days on the top end single cards vs. going two midrange cards in SLI? 6800 core is considered old now, no? I think I'd get a higher end SLI card and wait on adding the second til prices drop...benches would dictate what route though

why_ask_why said:
agreed on dual core
and what are the benches looking like these days on the top end single cards vs. going two midrange cards in SLI? 6800 core is considered old now, no? I think I'd get a higher end SLI card and wait on adding the second til prices drop...benches would dictate what route though

I wonder about the video setup too. If anyone can point me at numbers I'd appreciate it.

Dual core would really be pushing my budget. Besides, I understand that older apps don't play well with dual core systems. Also, do you need a 64 bit OS for a dual core setup?

Okay... my plans have been revised:

The processor is now going to be an Athlon64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core and the video cards will be geforce 7600 GTs. The 7600's specs are crazy for a mid range card.

itburnswhenipee said:
I wonder about the video setup too. If anyone can point me at numbers I'd appreciate it.

Dual core would really be pushing my budget. Besides, I understand that older apps don't play well with dual core systems. Also, do you need a 64 bit OS for a dual core setup?

AMD Athlon 64X2 3800 is ~ $300 now and I absolutely love mine. I still have it running at factory 2.0GHz but I'll probably OC it one day, maybe up to about 2.4GHz

If it glitches up old apps all you gotta do is ctrl+alt+del and set the affinity to a single core. That has fixed any problems I have found with my older apps.

You don't need 64 bit OS for dual core but the dual core will definitely rock hardcore when Vista finally get's released. I plan on that being the first legit version of Windows I have bought...well ever :lol:

itburnswhenipee said:
Okay... my plans have been revised:

The processor is now going to be an Athlon64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core and the video cards will be geforce 7600 GTs. The 7600's specs are crazy for a mid range card.

cool, i think you'll be very happy with the dual core. I built 2 almost identical systems side by side, mine with a 3800 and my Boss' with a 3700+. Mine was way snappier than his.

b_sinning said:
I wish I could afford a new system.

Yeah, me too.... stupid irrational desires.

I just bit the bullet, incidentally, and ordered the beast. It's the most I've ever spent on any of my computers. Usually I just get mid-grade stuff.

edit: christ! Immediately with the buyer's remorse. When does it end!?

don't skimp on that power supply. it's better to get a high quality 350W than some cheapass 450W that may jihad itself and take your system with it

get an Antec

sizzlinggrace said:
i wanted to build my own computer this summer :eek:

i should probably learn how first :p

Pretty much all you need to know these days is that if it doesn't fit there, don't put it there.

AM I RITE?? :hi2u: