so if you have digital cable...

When I had digital in Charlotte, it seems time warner kept both feeds by default. You only got digital channels on a TV with a digi box and the others just got the regular old analog feed.

This was also 6 years ago...I don't know what's going on now.

Digital is just the box...not the line. Everyone has analog lines running to their house. If you get a digital box, then you get digital cable.

Digital is just the box...not the line. Everyone has analog lines running to their house. If you get a digital box, then you get digital cable.

No, that's not true. Digital is run on the same line as analog. The box doesn't magically produce digital signal. So it is the line as well. It is possible in some cable service networks to not even need the box if you have a digital tuner built into your set or a tuner card. This all depends on encryption system they're using. Soon it won't matter at all because they're passing regulations to force cable companies into using only CableCARDs for security verificaiton and allowing 3rd party cable boxes and tuners to be used (ie TiVo Series 3).

The reason I mentioned the notch filter before is that something like 60 digital channels fit in the space of 2-3 analog channels. Most cable systems are putting them somewhere in the 60-70 or 90-100 analog channel range. It would be very easy for the company to put a $2 notch on your line going into your house and only allowing that frequency band to pass in. Of course, that also means that its very easy to go out to the curb, remove the filter, and get analog signal again.

If you have an all-in-wonder, why bother? If you're going to buy anything new, buy something that can tune in ATSC/Clear QAM so you can gain the possibility of recording HD on the unencrypted/OTA channels.

because the pvr will go in a different PC. cant spend a whole ton of cash though. OTA is pretty worthless to me since i dont watch any channel that broadcasts ota.

because the pvr will go in a different PC. cant spend a whole ton of cash though. OTA is pretty worthless to me since i dont watch any channel that broadcasts ota.

If you can borrow a digital card somehow, might be worth your time to see if your cable system uses Clear QAM. You might be able to find that info searching around online as well.

Another option is forcing the cable company to give you a box with firewire output. By law, if you ask, they have to give it to you.