So I Went to get Lasik Done Today

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
Houston
Marklar
₥60,587
I've had an extremely hard week at work today so the anxiety level was killer. I go into my surgery... suit up with the little hair hat thing they give you and they start to tape my eye lids open, put drops in and all at the same time I start to flip out.. never have I flipped out so hard. Shaking... couldn't breathe.. heart about to explode... that kinda thing.

Well actually I started to flip out in the waiting room because LasikPlus has glass walls so you can watch them operate on people and also have a camera on the eyeball being worked on so you can watch them poke and prod the eye on their TV. Okay.. that can't be settling.

I can't even get eye drops in my eyes by myself.

So they gave me a teddy bear to hold.

They begin to put the ring on my cornea to hold it into place and then I came unglued. My legs were kicking and they tried really hard to calm me down even after the valium they doused me with.

So pretty much they sent me home and told me to come back when I can handle it.

Anyone else ever be as big of a pussy about something as myself?

i've considered lasik several times, did all the pre-cut-my-eye-open-,-take-a-slice-out-then-close-the-flap-with-krazy-glue appointments but never made the appointment for the surgery. up until now it wasn't practical, i had to wear glasses anyways for a portion of my day. i'm sure i will be freaked out. and showing the surgery in the waiting room? that's just cruel. i'd probably do that if i ran the place. make an america's funniest lasic show, or at least put the videos on the internet.

Knives in your eyeballs.

I'll repeat that so it clear:

Knives in your eyeballs

What's not to flip out about?

I wouldn't feel bad. I'm a total puss when it comes to that sort of thing. Even something as simple as having an IV in me sends me a third of the way to the edge.

itburnswhenipee said:
Knives in your eyeballs.

I'll repeat that so it clear:

Knives in your eyeballs

What's not to flip out about?

I wouldn't feel bad. I'm a total puss when it comes to that sort of thing. Even something as simple as having an IV in me sends me a third of the way to the edge.

its what i like to call a "QUOTE" laser "QUOTE"

itburnswhenipee said:
Dr. Evil references aside, they DO have to cut the outside bits of our eye out of the way before they use the laser, don't they?

yep

it's been an austin powers quote day for some reason. and that was before the drinking

itburnswhenipee said:
Dr. Evil references aside, they DO have to cut the outside bits of our eye out of the way before they use the laser, don't they?

It's all done by laser.. they don't touch your eyeball with anything sharp.

April23 said:
It's all done by laser.. they don't touch your eyeball with anything sharp.

Huh... this must be new. That's gotta be way more tolerable, though. I think when reverendsaintjay had his lasik done they had to knife him in the eyes first.

itburnswhenipee said:
Huh... this must be new. That's gotta be way more tolerable, though. I think when reverendsaintjay had his lasik done they had to knife him in the eyes first.

OMG nooo.... that's 80's style. My dad went in and had it all done by knife. He still has perfect vision to this day.

itburnswhenipee said:

it's been around for a few years, late 90's i believe the doc mentioned. it's not the same laser used to correct vision, it's all about slicing baby. and it can be more uncomfortable than the knife.

i would FREAK THE FUCK OUT too. i don't have a weak stomach until it comes to anything eye and watching knee surgery (since i've had that done twice.)
i'm also queasy when anything on the body is numb, or if there's holes in your body that aren't normally there (like if you have to have an infection cut out or something.) :barf:

can't they give you some good drugs to either put you under or make you not give a shit? if they have those drugs, I'D get the lasik done, and i have perfect vision. :fly:

Thorn Bird said:
i would FREAK THE FUCK OUT too. i don't have a weak stomach until it comes to anything eye and watching knee surgery (since i've had that done twice.)
i'm also queasy when anything on the body is numb, or if there's holes in your body that aren't normally there (like if you have to have an infection cut out or something.) :barf:

can't they give you some good drugs to either put you under or make you not give a shit? if they have those drugs, I'D get the lasik done, and i have perfect vision. :fly:

I sat there and watched it on the screen just amazed.. until I remembered that the same thing was going to happen to me. OMFG

They gave me... 5mgs of valium... FIVE... that can knock out maybe a hampster. I never felt it I was so worked up... if there is a next time I'm bringing a pharmacy with me. You can't be knocked out all the way.. they need ya to focus on this stupid red dot. I got to that point at least.. sheesh scary.

thrawn said:
it's been around for a few years, late 90's i believe the doc mentioned. it's not the same laser used to correct vision, it's all about slicing baby. and it can be more uncomfortable than the knife.
And there is nothing you can do about it.

It's also reccomended that you don't go parachuting or deep sea diving ever once you get it done because it never heals completely. Kills off any chances you ever may have of becoming an Army Ranger. ^__^

I think I might be nervous for the lasik. They'd deffinately have to give me a sedative and I think at most places they do do that. I not scared of needles or anything. I've have stiches in my arms, legs, hands & face and it never bothered me. But clampin' your eye open and peeling it back makes me feel nervous thinkin about it. if I had the dough, I'd do it in a heartbeat.