So, I went to a whiskey tasting last night...

Fat Burger said:
Out of MacCallan's 1964 batch, only two casks survived (which are now bottled). One was 45.6% alcohol, the other was 56.2% alcohol.
(From memory, numbers may be wrong)

that's pretty poor quality control if they're that far off...or is that the bottled percentage?

ChikkenNoodul said:
*twitch*

You can always spot the fucker who's trying to impress everyone at a bar

He'll order JW Blue on the rocks :fly:

i like the guys who don't realize that a whiskey stops aging when it's bottled.

yeah, its an 18 year old, and you've had it 5 years, it's not aged 23 years fool, it's just 23 years old, still aged 18 years.

tre said:
i like the guys who don't realize that a whiskey stops aging when it's bottled.

yeah, its an 18 year old, and you've had it 5 years, it's not aged 23 years fool, it's just 23 years old, still aged 18 years.
My dad is one of those guys. He had a bottle of maker's mark that was unopened for like 15 years. He couldn't believe that it tasted exactly the same as the one I had just bought.

ChikkenNoodul said:
An intersting note - the evaporating scotch in the 'aging warehouse' causes a funky black mold-like thing to grow on the cielings.
:drool:

seriously? That's kind of gross. However, I am more than slightly jealous that you've had the opportunity to tour a distillery and see the whole process happen.

CletusJones said:
:drool:

seriously? That's kind of gross. However, I am more than slightly jealous that you've had the opportunity to tour a distillery and see the whole process happen.
It was a religious experience.

Glenlivet was VERY friendly, and gave us generous amounts of the 12, French oak, 18, and 21yo bottlings

Really lovely tour and grounds

Edradour was cool too, because it was such a tiny distillery, you got to see more of the action.

I hope to make it to Orkney and Islay the next time I'm there

ChikkenNoodul said:

Glenlivet was VERY friendly, and gave us generous amounts of the 12, French oak, 18, and 21yo bottlings

Edradour was cool too, because it was such a tiny distillery, you got to see more of the action.

that's awesome! I wish there were some cool distilleries out in the midwest. :(

Im sponsoring a beer tasting tonight at my house
Itll be me, a 12 pack and a bag of cheetos
Oh, and Im the only one invited
Ill be sure and let you guys know how it turned out.

ChikkenNoodul said:

i am rather jealous sir. i will have to make my way over there one of these days.