So I just put up our new Blik wall graphic

That is awesome! I love the idea and I love how it is something unique looking and able to break up the wall. I have a huge wall in my front room and I have been trying to figure out something to do to break it up... I am going to look and hopefully find something that will work.

Am I looking at the same picture as everyone else? Because I see a large black feather randomly placed above a window. Is that what I should be seeing?

Valve... Mr. Handy....

We went to a house last night that had painted their ceilings gray and it was HOT! We only have crown molding on the bottom of the walls and I would like to put it on the top and then paint the ceiling.

How hard is this? We have like three different saws in the garage that are never used, but I'm sure one of the will work. rite?

Plus any tips on painting a ceiling? This will be my first.

(the ceilings have to be painted anyways due to the previous smokers in the house and it leaving stains around the vents. :( )

Wait what o_O Crown molding goes at the top of a wall hence "crown"...

You use a coping saw for trim, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coping_saw

you join internal corners by scribing them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribing_(joinery) , wood expands and contracts seasonally and your walls are not exactly 90. External corners you miter at 1/2 the actual angle.

I wouldnt do crown molding in your house though, it's the wrong style... Moldings are actually part of a unified architectural style. There are specific proportions to wall heights, it's based on classical orders of architecture. The crown molding corresponds to the captial of a column, the field of the wall to the shaft and the bottom to the base.

http://www.buffaloah.com/a/DCTNRY/p/pallad/image/02tuscan.jpg

The crown of that (as an example) is 2:6 the height of the wall. It would look right on a Georgian type house, in say New England. You have a tract house, there are no elements like that because the style is mostly based on the size of the materials used to construct it (4'x8' sheet goods and 8' length studs 16" on center). It would look tacky and makes the ceiling a lot darker.

Yes I know it's not what they tell you on TV or in home depot but *shrug*

Last edited:
Wait what o_O Crown molding goes at the top of a wall hence "crown"...

You use a coping saw for trim, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coping_saw

you join corner by scribing them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribing_(joinery)

I wouldnt do crown molding in your house though, it's the wrong style... Moldings are actually part of a unified architectural style. There are specific proportions to wall heights, it's based on classical orders of architecture. The crown molding corresponds to the captial of a column, the field of the wall to the shaft and the bottom to the base.

http://www.buffaloah.com/a/DCTNRY/p/pallad/image/02tuscan.jpg

The crown of that (as an example) is 2:6 the height of the wall. It would look right on a Georgian type house, in say New England. You have a tract house, there are no elements like that because the style is mostly based on the size of the materials used to construct it (4'x8' sheet goods and 8' length studs 16" on center). It would look tacky and makes the ceiling a lot darker.
your post represents exactly what constantly pisses me off about architectural design review committees. going around telling people what the "proper" style is and how what they want to do is wrong because it doesn't match the past.

if they want crown molding, they can install crown molding. you and the rest of the architecture nazis don't have to live there.

your post represents exactly what constantly pisses me off about architectural design review committees. going around telling people what the "proper" style is and how what they want to do is wrong because it doesn't match the past.

if they want crown molding, they can install crown molding. you and the rest of the architecture nazis don't have to live there.

I agree, but in a less hostile manner.

The first half of my post is instructions on the 'best practice' of what tools you need and how to do it so it lasts.

As to the moldings, I'm saying what wont look bad. I don't care what anyone does and I specifically don't care about your opinion, but if you want your house to look like a home depot hack job it's not my problem. It is hard to imagine what some elements will look like until after you put them up. It is also hard to know exactly 'how' well something works unless you've seen it in hundreds of houses.

Molding can be great to absolutely migraine inducing, it's only function is to make the wall pleasing to look at, it evolved along the rules I just decribed until the advent of tract housing in the united states. Outlining how something came to be and the traditional rules that are used in making it look good is NOT THE SAME AS A DESIGN REVIEW. Get over yourself. It doesnt look 'right', unless it's put up 'right' because the mind expects to see what it has already seen as 'right'. It is a fake mock up of the classic orders of architecture, end of story.

The are tons of other things you can do to make a wall look pleasing that dont involve butchering both the house's own style and the traditional rules of architecture.

It would look right on a Georgian type house, in say New England. You have a tract house... It would look tacky and makes the ceiling a lot darker.
sounds like opinion based on adherence to "standards and practices" to me. that's what design reviewers are always doing.

Traditional rules of architecture. :lol:

FG is being esoteric again.
Zomg architecture has styles : O Styles have specific compositions of form, space and order. : O This can be summarized by the word rule: meaning a usually valid generalization.