WTF So I just dick'd my butt

If you gave the right result but the only thing you got wrong was the unit letter, you might be able to get it marked correct. Make up some bullshit story that you were reading old british electric stuff that measured charge in Q, and you're still getting used to writing the "correct" symbol. Just don't call the TA an idiot, please.
I don't even have to do that, he uses q for Coulombs fairly regularly to differentiate between it and c for the value of a capacitor.

We switch back and forth between units constantly. It may not be political to call the TA an idiot, but considering the notes and problems the prof has given us he is a bit of one for not knowing how often the prof switches.

If your prof writes Q as a unit on the board, eg "RESULTING CHARGE = 6 Q", then that's bad.

If he writes "Q = 6", that's kind acceptable, you're leaving the unit out but the context indicates that the unit is in coulombs. Same way that writing things like "R = 10K" is acceptable - pretty much every EE calls a 10,000 ohm resistor a "ten K resistor", not a "ten kilo-ohm resistor".

So technically the prof's not screwing up, you gotta get better at your symbols.

equation symbol => unit symbol
C (capacitance) => measured in F (farads)
Q (charge) => measured in C (coulombs)
I (current) => measured in A (amps)
R (resistance) => measured in ohms (Ω)
Q (Q factor) => dimensionless.

Shit on the left are the symbols that you use to build your equations when you're solving shit.
Shit on the right are the symbols representing the units of measure.
Sometimes the same letters are used on both sides, but they mean different things.

You're new at this stuff, either it's something you haven't fully hammered into your brain yet, or it's something the prof just hasn't taken the time to explain. Or it's something he thinks everyone knows when they don't. It's not really taught in any single course (at least when I went to school 14+ years ago) so I can understand it being overlooked.

But yeah, I'd still go the prof. Tell him "I got my values and my units mixed up, I know what I did wrong and know that it's C not Q. Sorry. But I did do the calculations correctly,, so I know the material... so, uh, can I get a pass on that?"

So, I dicked my butt too.

I released not one, but two versions of the app back to back, which were both connecting to the test environment instead of production.

We went from version 2.0.1 to 2.0.4 in 1 hour.
:lol: my coworker did that once.

Now I wrote a script to detect the environment and connect to the right server.

Releasing code before QA, apparently.
I don't always test code, but when I do, it's in prod.

giphy.gif

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke