WTF So I just dick'd my butt

YES. The only PMs I've ever worked well with were ones that came up in the environments they're now managing.
Also a good point. Most of the IT PMs had no idea how IT worked and that was disastrous.

Client: We want biometric scanning using only the mouse.
PM: Okay, I promise that IT will have that done next week.

People in accounting, sales, support, janitorial services, customer service, etc all will have similar stories.

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke and OzSTEEZ
For sure, I'm a good problem solver though.
Interesting there is so much hate for project management/managers here though :lol:
then you should be a business analyst. The person that tells the PMs what to do, and lets them manage the cost and schedule.

what a pm does is cost, schedule, and holding all parties working on the project/program to those metrics.

thats the literal definition. It is dull.

Would you like to be a nagging mother in an environment where everyone is annoyed/hates you? PMs are basically babysitters that no one likes.
Not always, mate. In development, without a PM things get frustratingly retarded.

Also a good point. Most of the IT PMs had no idea how IT worked and that was disastrous.

Client: We want biometric scanning using only the mouse.
PM: Okay, I promise that IT will have that done next week.

People in accounting, sales, support, janitorial services, customer service, etc all will have similar stories.
This is so true. We once had a guy dictate how the folder structure on the group drive would be organised. He came up with these silly long-winded names for folders. End result was a lot of files inaccessible due to the path being too long.

This is so true. We once had a guy dictate how the folder structure on the group drive would be organised. He came up with these silly long-winded names for folders. End result was a lot of files inaccessible due to the path being too long.

This would be my current situation if I hadn't made sure I'm the departmental person heading up liaising with the company implementing some CRM software soon. The other main manager in my department actually used the word typewriter instead of computer in a meeting a couple of weeks ago, without a hint of irony. Thankfully I'm managing our transition over and explaining the structure and role of all our paperwork processes so it runs smoothly (as well as getting rid of a bunch because we don't need to cling on to things from 30 years ago).

I think we've all been burned :fly:
Fair enough. I guess I'm lucky enough that most places I've worked have been small enough and smart enough to just hand me to the reins of project managing/organising getting shit done. It seems to suit my skills quite well which is why I'm taking an interest. I'm hyper organised, have a good balance of operational and strategic planning and implementing, am a good leader and manager, good planner, realistic and good at problem solving and good at delegating. Plus I'm kind of sick of working a job which is so legally responsible and has on call duties. I hate the 24/7 nature of it in some ways even though it pays appropriately.

why are they leaving
It happens quite a lot. It's not the best paid job in the world plus it's not always the easiest when you're dealing with volatile and aggressive kids. Carers can actually get paid more in an Aldi supermarket that they do with us. So yeah people leave for money and a lot leave early on because they get scared stiff of the job. I had a grown ass woman leave after her first day last week.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
:lol: I wish, at least then I could change something. I'm an annoyingly nice manager to be honest, I might bitch about my staff and get irate in private but to them I'm the most kind and accommodating manager ever. I've taken over managing over of our casual staff a couple of weeks ago and when she found out I'd be her manager she texted me to say it made her day and she was so happy she now had me to come to.