So I have this old school Blackberry

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
So my friend had a Blackberry 7290 that he wasn't using so he gave it to me. I like it because it has BT and quad band for travelling. What should I do with it? What apps should I get? The latest OS version I can get is 4.1, so I can't use Blackberry App World unfortunately. The phone is also unlocked, so I can use any SIM. Where can I get a SIM for cheap? Is there a Pay-As-You-Go that does not have an expiration date?

Still, Palm anything > iPhone > * > Blackberry

personally I'd toss it in the trash...that's some really dated shit...predates even edge so the data rates will be horrific to do anything practical on it

I don't know if I would do anything even data-related on it, to be honest.

for a travelling phone it'll be fine, since you must be with sprint or one of the other non-sim carriers. you could just hold onto it without a working sim and then buy one in whatever country you end up visiting. when i make the switch back to sprint in september (when my att contract is up) i'm going to hang onto my treo 750 specifically for travelling.

Why would you ever go back to Sprint? Terrible coverage, terrible phone selection (with the exception of the Pre, of course), terrible customer service, terrible sound quality, terrible cellular data speeds.

Why would you ever go back to Sprint? Terrible coverage, terrible phone selection (with the exception of the Pre, of course), terrible customer service, terrible sound quality, terrible cellular data speeds.
you hit it. though their service coverage is quite good in this area and i LOVED the speed of their network when i was on it. never had an issue with sound quality. i will definitely admit that their customer service sucks. that why i left.

I have to say though, I put my SIM from my iPhone into the BB and wow does that phone acquire a cell signal quick. Instead of 45 seconds for the iPhone, it takes less than 10 for the BB.

So my friend had a Blackberry 7290 that he wasn't using so he gave it to me. I like it because it has BT and quad band for travelling. What should I do with it? What apps should I get? The latest OS version I can get is 4.1, so I can't use Blackberry App World unfortunately. The phone is also unlocked, so I can use any SIM. Where can I get a SIM for cheap? Is there a Pay-As-You-Go that does not have an expiration date?

Still, Palm anything > iPhone > * > Blackberry
lol
adcdc5.png

notice there's no BB in that graph...the bold had the fastest processor in a handheld to date at its release and I'd guess it might still hold the crown

This is SunSpider, a JavaScript benchmark. This benchmark tests the core JavaScript language only, not the DOM or other browser APIs. It is designed to compare different versions of the same browser, and different browsers to each other.

Why exactly would I be flogging my phone with a bunch of javascript? Also, why would I use a test designed to compare browsers to compare an entire OS?

notice there's no BB in that graph...the bold had the fastest processor in a handheld to date at its release and I'd guess it might still hold the crown

Except it isn't. And doesn't.

The iPhone original actually uses a faster processor that was just underclocked. And the new iPhone is the true speed, as well as the Palm Pre, using a faster core and video processor to being with, before underclocking.

Then there is, of course, the HTC Touch Pro that uses the same chips as the BB, or the Sony Xperia X1 using two processors, one of them being what's in the BB. Or the Nokia N series for quite a while. Or the ITG xpPhone that runs Win XP on an AMD mobile processor.