So I hate Bush, but pulling out of Iraq seems like a bad idea. v.tellmewhyimwrong

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,313
Steam
mattressfish
Full Disclosure: Bush is an idiot of the worst magnitude. Not only is he dumb, but completely ignores reality by surrounding himself with 'yes' men. The result is that we get into silly wars for trumped up reasons. That said...

It is BEYOND foolish to pull out of Iraq now, or to even give a timetable. Here's why:
  • It shows weakness to those who thrive on weakness. Haven't we learned from the blowback of Clinton's pussyfooting in Somalia, WTC v.1, and the Cole bombing (to name a few)? Showing ANY sign of weakness only reenforces the terrorists.
  • The only honest excuse for the war that the American government/people have left is that Saddam was a brutal dictator, and we did it to save those people. Well, many of those people are WORSE off now. If we owed it to them before, we REALLY owe them now.
  • Pottery Barn Doctrine: We broke it, we bought it. Was Iraq fucked up before we were there? Sure. Is it MORE fucked up now? Damned right it is. If we want to play policeman to the world, we need to fucking stick it out when the going gets rough.
  • Iraq is now a breeding ground for terrorism. It wasn't before, but it sure is now. If we cut and run, terrorism can now grow unhindered in that country. Ya know who that will effect? Their only sworn enemy, the US.
In closing, these pussy politicians who can't take soldiers being killed shouldn't have given the President the green light to start a war in the first place. We ALL have blood on our hands now, so let's just do our best to make it right.

You're wrong because....uh.... because....

Fuck...I agree with you. How can this be?!?! :eek:

I know we didn't really have our facts straight for invading Iraq, but at least we can hopefully make it a better place for the people there. Tho I kinda wish we hadn't gone into Iraq because now our hands are tied from doing anything about Iran's necular program. :omy:

I think this is more, like you said, a problem of politician's not doing what they should do, which is the right thing, versus what the public thinks they should do.

Another reason I hate proffesional politicians: they don't have spines anymore.

So, you can hate Bush all you want, but the fact remains, we couldn't have gone to war without Congress's blessing... it wasn't just the White house, it was everyone in Washington.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In a major victory for the White House, the Senate early Friday voted 77-23 to authorize President Bush to attack Iraq if Saddam Hussein refuses to give up weapons of mass destruction as required by U.N. resolutions.

Hours earlier, the House approved an identical resolution, 296-133.

The president praised the congressional action, declaring "America speaks with one voice."

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/11/iraq.us/

Don't kid yourself into thinking Bush is anything more than a figurehead. At this point, the Presidency is nothing more, and HAS been nothing more than that for quite some time.

In hindsight, it's really easy to say we should have done this, shouldn't have done that... that's why hindsight is 20/20... but you're a real fool if you think Bush did this all on his own, you need to be pissed off at every single congressman and senator who voted yes, not just Bush.

All I can say is that whenever we decide to pull out those insurgents had better look out. The iraqi forces may have been trained by us, but I get the feeling their anti-disorder tactics will be brutal. There is going to be some horrible stuff going on in that country, which ironically is what made Saddam so efficient as a brutal leader.

So how long should we stay there? A political body like what exists over there will never be "fixed." Not unless you are willing to destroy what is there to create something that is more inline with what we feel things should be.

The Iraq war isn't a big deal here. Infact, it rarely makes the news. I do however watch alot of american news, especially in the morning when I watch Hannity & Colmes, probably the worst show in the history of current affairs. The fact that right-wing radicals think of themselves as "Conservative" is laughible. In my opinion, no american can be conservative. You can however be a "traditionalist", but that too is a load of crap.

Anyway, back on topic. It would be wrong to pull out of Iraq now for the simple reason that it would become too unstable. End off. But you have to realise, it's also unlikely to stabilize anytime soon. I'd put the target at never.

Galen said:
I do however watch alot of american news, especially in the morning when I watch Hannity & Colmes, probably the worst show in the history of current affairs.

:lol: :lol:

I don't care what anyone says. Galen is awesome, and if I meet him I'm going to get him drunk and do him in the butt.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Until Iraq is a nice flat sheet of silicon

I thought the more likely answer would be until we can make it the next state.

With the largest mall imagineable.

Democratic Media is hamming it up to make sure they get the emotional soccer mom vote. Those evil republicans are sending your sons and daughters off to get slaughtered for no reason. Over 2000 DEAD!!! Then in the next election their canidate does nothing but preach on getting us out of there. They know the republican canidate can't come out and say Bush made any type of mistake.

It's never an issue of right or wrong or helping anyone else. It's all fucking politics. Dumbass ex-frat boy mentality.

SpangeMonkee said:
The thing I'm worried about is that they are getting trained by the best military in the world and it is gonna bite us in the ass 20 years from now. Sorta like Afghanistan.

By all accounts we're doing a pretty half-ass job, so I think we're good.

taeric said:
So how long should we stay there? A political body like what exists over there will never be "fixed." Not unless you are willing to destroy what is there to create something that is more inline with what we feel things should be.
hbomb.jpg

:(