So I guess "they" are raising movie ticket prices (oh, and Im short)

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
To around $10.50 a ticket for evening shows.

People in Hollywood really don't get it. Home theater equipment is getting cheaper, cable TV is getting better, and DVDs now cost substantially less than two tickets and a popcorn. They can't keep cranking out crappy movies and expect people to flock to theaters when the experience there isn't any better than the one they can get at home.

Discuss.

To make things even more insanely hysterical, 99% of all movies suck ass. I WANNA PAY $10.50 FOR HOSTEL 2!!!!11

And if the movie isn't shitty and original, it's shitty and a remake. So you're paying for something someone already paid for at one time, only this time it's probably worse than it was before. If you think about it for too long it will make your head explode.

Last edited:
we have a dollar theater down the street. sure, you can't go see the new release the instant it comes out, but you can see anything you want a couple months later.

i'm hoping this will become more and more of a trend. i think the one here is owned by a church or community something something, so it's going to a good thing. and on tuesday nights, flicks are $.75. :D

On a side note, I read in the newspaper this past weekend that Regal Cinemas is going to be giving select patrons with wireless keypads to notify the cinema managers of cell phones going off, people talking during the movie, broken video or audio, etc type of issues. You have to be a member of their free club and you get extra points for doing this apparently. Only one person per showing gets the wireless device.

I dunno if I like that or not. What's stopping people from incorrectly reporting people not doing anything wrong.

Part of the reason prices are going up (besides inflation, of course :p) is because home theaters are becoming more commonplace. The industry knows this, they just don't want to sack up and face the music. They know full well that a lot of money could be made if they released movies in multiple formats - in theatre, on DVD and in an On-Demand system through a cable/satellite provider - but it would be a very risky venture and the thousands of movie theatres across the country would certainly suffer. The giants like AMC and Regal would not be happy and they are crucial to the promotion of future movies.

Same deal with TV shows. They have numerous methods avaiable to release good tv shows with no commercials, avoid the problems of piracy and still get money from the sponsors into the hands of the creators but it requires mostly cutting out the middleman - the broadcasters - and thus is a very risky venture. I'm sure all of this will come into fruition in a few years but I imagine a lot of older CEOs need to die first, which overall is a good thing across the entire baby boomer generation.

On a side note, I read in the newspaper this past weekend that Regal Cinemas is going to be giving select patrons with wireless keypads to notify the cinema managers of cell phones going off, people talking during the movie, broken video or audio, etc type of issues. You have to be a member of their free club and you get extra points for doing this apparently. Only one person per showing gets the wireless device.

I dunno if I like that or not. What's stopping people from incorrectly reporting people not doing anything wrong.

maaaaaaaan, don't even get me started with this.. but I heard about the keypad thing too..

my movie experience:

long story short, took my nephews to see Pirates of the Carib. on Saturday (we prob spent 60 bucks total, including the wife, sheesh) and these 3 teenagers sitting behind me went and snitched on me... said i was "taping the movie"...

ON MY FOCKING SIDEKICK!!!!!!

i had moved down to the first, spread out row cause my knees were starting to hurt in them tight ass seats. My brother in law got his second movie credit in the movie (he did the scene in the beginning with all the depps talking to each other, and one other) and since I had moved my wife hit me near the end on the text (ringer off BTW) that "this is the other scene he did". cool. I of course reply "I could do that shit".. lmao, I can't even post a pic .. but she says these 3 cats sitting in between where she and I were were talking to each other and pointing at me and one of em went down and told the manager i was recording the movie. Movie cop, SPPD, and the mgr all standin over there lookin at me. I didn't know why, but Janice, my wife, stormed down there and was like, "it's his CELL phone" and the mgr said "Fine".

but ain't that some shit?! after the movie I stood up to the rail and asked 'em "Ya'll the dudes who went and tattletaled?! CAUSE I WAS LOOKIN AT MY CELLPHONE?! Ya'll need to get out a little more man if that's all you got to worry about"... slow day at Nerd Camp or somethin... them boys didn't say a word, quiet as church mice..

but to the original post... yeah, when we left janice was like "that's an overrated experience"... would rather be home with our own snacks, the pause button, and a bathroom.. damn movie was 3 hours long... long time in that little ass chair..