So I got a free Dell LCD...mostly...

S

smileynev

One of the dad's at my wife's daycare is starting a home business for himself doing construction stuff. Anyway, he bought a dell system with a 17" LCD. Went to set it up and got an error message about the LCD being in power save mode. So he troubleshot it with Dell and they sent him a brand new one. The kicker is that they didn't want the old one back. So he said I could have it and if I got it to work I could keep it. I played around with it last night and couldn't get it to display anything. Did some research and this sounds like a fairly common problem with their DVI equipped LCDs, less so on the analog models like this one. I brought it into work this morning and swapped the thinner dell VGA cable for a thicker one we had here and now it seems to work fine. I'm gonna let him know that it seems to be working and that he can have it back if he wants, but I'm guessing he'll let me keep it.

I wouldn't meantion it at all. for all you know he could then say "cool, I have two now" At least not until a few weeks from now, and then I would just say, oh, I just got it working.

He's a good guy. He built is a deck at our old house for free minus the materials. I'm gonna tell him.

smileynev said:
He's a good guy. He built is a deck at our old house for free minus the materials. I'm gonna tell him.
Why? If it comes up in conversation, mention it. If it doesn't, don't. He already told you that you could have it.

fly said:
Why? If it comes up in conversation, mention it. If it doesn't, don't. He already told you that you could have it.

I dunno, I just think I should. I don't think he'll want it back anyway. If he does, oh well.

He gave it to you and told you to keep it if you fix it, don't say anything. If he comes over and sees it, just tell him that you fixed it if he asks.

In my experience people who are willing to give away broken crap usually change their tunes when they find out it was easily fixed. I'm going to have to go with the rest of the group here and say that you should keep the fact that it's working to yourself.

My post should be labeled "NERD ALERT". Because I say tell him. Normally, I'd say keep it. But what if Dell charges him for not returning the old one? That happened to me with a computer thingie. I never returned the old broken thingie and they sent me a bill!

you can tell him if you want, but if he asks for it back call him an indian giver and kick him in the nuts

meyou said:
you can tell him if you want, but if he asks for it back call him an indian giver and kick him in the nuts

I kick him in the nuts = he rips my throat out and shoves it up my urethra.