so how's your debt?

Sarcasmo said:
I'm not one to judge, but in those most recent pics she's with like 5 different people in one evening.

Hmmmm ... do we detect jealousy ?

Board a plane to FLA and you too can be in the 'pics' :D

luckily i don't have much debt- no car payments, no student loans. i need to pay my parents back for helping me out last year when i moved down here, but that's really the biggest amount i have and even then it's not that much.

25,000 for new car

uumm..

maybe 400 in CC bills right now, which will be paid off in a week.

Other then that, rent and bills, but thats not debt as i don't own the place.

Brought my credit score up from the 450 range a few hundred points.. gotta check it again.

Debt....

- $225 K Mortgage (real estate in Pinellas County is overpriced)
- We lease our cars so they are not "loans" so to speak, just a montly payment like any other bills.
- we pay our insurance on the vehicles up front for six months to get the discount and avoid that monthly nightmare
- most of my expenses such as cell phone and gas are paid for by my company
-$12K in Student Loans - just started paying on them in June

Credit cards: Consolidated almost all into one line of credit this month. I plan on making the largest payments we can afford on them til it's paid; hopefully a year or two. Other than that I keep a credit card with a large limit and no balance for emergencies. I have hidden all department store credit cards from myself so that I don't use them - they carry a zero balance as well.

I HATE credit card debt. Some of it is just straight up carelessness, i.e. vacations, etc and some of it is not, i.e. vet bills, dental work, repairs and remodeling items and work on the new house. I'm hoping to be able to write a check someday for it all, and be rid of it.... I think that is wishful thinking. In a previous life I got stuck with alot of someone else's debt... still working on that too.

ChikkenNoodul said:
People thinking sub $300k mortgages are overpriced make me smile :D

$300k in eastern MA buys a one bedroom condo in the city, maybe a two or 3 bedroom way out of the city, or a couple parking spaces in the city.

That's why I lived in NH for 3 years....

Oh shit... I forgot that about NH... The prices of homes there are two times what you pay here! Mass is really THAT bad? I can remember my uncle living in a 50 year old three bedroom home that was literally falling apart worth about $300K. That was in Laconia NH.

Here that buys you a three bedroom, two bath that may or may not have a pool and needs work. You need a good $450 - $500K to get something REALLY nice.

Candy said:
Oh shit... I forgot that about NH... The prices of homes there are two times what you pay here! Mass is really THAT bad? I can remember my uncle living in a 50 year old three bedroom home that was literally falling apart worth about $300K. That was in Laconia NH.

Here that buys you a three bedroom, two bath that may or may not have a pool and needs work. You need a good $450 - $500K to get something REALLY nice.
We bought our NH house for 300k, sold it last year for almost 390k after owning it 3 years, was a 4 bed 2.5 bath 2500sqft colonial with 3.25 acres of land, 2 car garage, the works.

At the same time, I could've bought the same house 25 miles from Boston without the land for $700k, now it's even worse

ChikkenNoodul said:
We bought our NH house for 300k, sold it last year for almost 390k after owning it 3 years, was a 4 bed 2.5 bath 2500sqft colonial with 3.25 acres of land, 2 car garage, the works.

At the same time, I could've bought the same house 25 miles from Boston without the land for $700k, now it's even worse

Damn. Effective immediatly: COLA raises for eveyone!

(Yeah, right...)

ChikkenNoodul said:

It's amazing isn't it?

I went to Boston in Feb. and fell in love with the place. So started checking real estate. A 600 sq flat apartment in an old brownstone starts at 400K. So I said - I am keeping the fla. house because eventually all these bostonians will move to fla and I can sell them my 3bed\pool home for some crazy amount.

How can these people afford this inflated prices (700K). Calf. is crazy too.

ChikkenNoodul said:

hory shit

you can get a totally badass house here for 180-225k on a city lot easy.

ChikkenNoodul said:
People thinking sub $300k mortgages are overpriced make me smile :D

Well it varies. I mean 300K overpiced for a 4500 sq ft house, no that's not overpriced.

300k for a 1000 sq ft house, that's over priced.

My house is 1600 sq. ft. and we can sell it for 275K

Drool-Boy said:
hory shit

you can get a totally badass house here for 180-225k on a city lot easy.

The houses in Texas are mansions (compared to Fla ) and cost half as much.
and the houses are new and beautiful (with some land).

BUT - the prop taxes are real bad. 2.3 on a 100. If I bought here I would pay 10K a year in taxes - well that's just about what I pay in rent a year (12K) so I rented instead.

gottoys? said:
The houses in Texas are mansions (compared to Fla ) and cost half as much.
and the houses are new and beautiful (with some land).

BUT - the prop taxes are real bad. 2.3 on a 100. If I bought here I would pay 10K a year in taxes - well that's just about what I pay in rent a year (12K) so I rented instead.

You live in Coppell. Carrollton, Lewisville, Southlake...the cities around you aren't as bad.

gottoys? said:
It's amazing isn't it?

I went to Boston in Feb. and fell in love with the place. So started checking real estate. A 600 sq flat apartment in an old brownstone starts at 400K. So I said - I am keeping the fla. house because eventually all these bostonians will move to fla and I can sell them my 3bed\pool home for some crazy amount.

How can these people afford this inflated prices (700K). Calf. is crazy too.
People are definitely fleeing this area, most of the people who are doing all right bought in the right places 10-15 years ago when the market was low and the interest rates finally started to drop from their ginormous peak in the 80's, you could easily have made $600-$800k profit by now on just one house - even more if you're talking even more expensive real estate, like the grand old mansions near the city or coastal properties.

What I don't get is how the young couples are doing it, what with the potential for student loans, buying a nice house or new construction condo near the city, and having two luxury cars and the expensive clothes to fit in with the rest of their cronies.