Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

The only part that will be really hard for a first timer would be the sour part, unless you're okay with cheating and just adding acid at the end. I'd get a few under your belt before tackling something like a kettle sour. ;)
Thing is, I've had enough "irish red ale" for this lifetime. I kinda want to dive headfirst into the weird shit.

Thing is, I've had enough "irish red ale" for this lifetime. I kinda want to dive headfirst into the weird shit.
You can still make some stellar, weird shit without trying a sour. Have you ever had a breast milk stout? :D

edit: Or just make a regular beer and use lactic acid for a beer that is probably 90% of a kettle sour without the multiday brewing process. ;)

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
You can still make some stellar, weird shit without trying a sour. Have you ever had a breast milk stout? :D

edit: Or just make a regular beer and use lactic acid for a beer that is probably 90% of a kettle sour without the multiday brewing process. ;)
Reading this, and a couple other articles, this looks straightforward. I probably want to get myself some pH measuring stuff.

Reading this, and a couple other articles, this looks straightforward. I probably want to get myself some pH measuring stuff.

That might be because the actual steps just aren't listed. It's essentially like this:

* Heat up a bunch of water to 150F
* Soak grains for an hour
* Drain wort into pot
* Heat up more water
* Soak grains again
* Drain wort
* Cool wort to about 90F
* Pitch pedio
* Hold at 90F for 2 days (under a constant CO2 blanket)
* Heat back up to boiling and finish brewing process

For comparison, our normal brews are complete in about 6 hours. What you're describing a LOT more work.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee
@gee Any idea if I can get a CO2 tank filled with beer gas? Do you have a special tank for it?
CO2 tank is fine for beer gas.

A N2 tank/regulator can handle 2x the pressure of a CO2 tank, so you can fit 2x as much beer gas in a nitrogen tank compared to the same size CO2 tank, but that's really the only "issue".

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
So
That might be because the actual steps just aren't listed. It's essentially like this:

* Heat up a bunch of water to 150F
* Soak grains for an hour
* Drain wort into pot
* Heat up more water
* Soak grains again
* Drain wort
* Cool wort to about 90F
* Pitch pedio
* Hold at 90F for 2 days (under a constant CO2 blanket)
* Heat back up to boiling and finish brewing process

For comparison, our normal brews are complete in about 6 hours. What you're describing a LOT more work.
Talked to the beer guy at the local hippie mart the other day. He used to work for Cigar City, and is now brewmaster for a nano brewery. He had some great ideas for kettle sours.

1. Use a sous vide stick for excellent temp control and uniformity (obviously as long as you can do a pretty good job controlling heat loss).
2. Use argon instead of CO2. It doesn't need to be constant then. Apparently its thick as fuck and very unwilling to move (obviously as long as you can control for drafts by using a lid and shit).

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
So

Talked to the beer guy at the local hippie mart the other day. He used to work for Cigar City, and is now brewmaster for a nano brewery. He had some great ideas for kettle sours.

1. Use a sous vide stick for excellent temp control and uniformity (obviously as long as you can do a pretty good job controlling heat loss).
2. Use argon instead of CO2. It doesn't need to be constant then. Apparently its thick as fuck and very unwilling to move (obviously as long as you can control for drafts by using a lid and shit).
I just refilled my 125CF cylinder with 25% CO2/75% Argon for $75.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I just moved my boring ass cider (tm), now in the secondary for a week, to the garage.

Got a temperature controller and heater strap on it, currently set for 15C (same as the basement it came from), gonna bring the temperature down over the next few days for some cold conditioning. Maybe "lagering" it will make it even more boring!

I just moved my boring ass cider (tm), now in the secondary for a week, to the garage.

Got a temperature controller and heater strap on it, currently set for 15C (same as the basement it came from), gonna bring the temperature down over the next few days for some cold conditioning. Maybe "lagering" it will make it even more boring!

Watch out. Your pressure will drop and it’s gonna suck in whatever is in your airlock.