Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

Brewersfriend is doing it. @Mrs. Valve took the gravity readings. The refractometer has been calibrated.

That level of efficiency isn’t uncommon for BIAB.
IMHO, you really should be using a hydrometer. I bet you'll get different and more accurate results. I know I did. In exchange for accuracy, its much more of a pain in the dick than putting a couple drops in a refractometer.

And 70-80 is pretty normal for AG. You lose some efficiency for BIAB, so I still say that's pretty high. Either you're a wizard or your numbers are off.

IMHO, you really should be using a hydrometer. I bet you'll get different and more accurate results. I know I did. In exchange for accuracy, its much more of a pain in the dick than putting a couple drops in a refractometer.

And 70-80 is pretty normal for AG. You lose some efficiency for BIAB, so I still say that's pretty high. Either you're a wizard or your numbers are off.

I have a hydrometer as well. I'll try it and compare sometime.

And it's a myth that you automatically lose efficiency with BIAB.

If you're lazy and use whatever crush your grain source gives you then yeah, your efficiency will be shit.

There's two ways BIAB'ers get over that, and they tried and true with science behind them.

1) use more grain, duhhhhh

2) What I and most BIAB'ers do, buy a grain mill and set the crush down to the width of a credit card. You've basically got something that's like coarse corneal when the grains come out.

Yeah, in fairness, it might have been that my refractometer just sucked. Worth checking, as that's an impressive efficiency. We brew high ABV beers, which tends to reduce efficiency, but I use 75% as my calculation.

And if you did either 1 or 2 with both BIAB and AG, you'd find that you'd get a higher efficiency with AG. Not that any of it matters, as efficiency is just dick wagging. ;)

Yeah, in fairness, it might have been that my refractometer just sucked. Worth checking, as that's an impressive efficiency. We brew high ABV beers, which tends to reduce efficiency, but I use 75% as my calculation.

And if you did either 1 or 2 with both BIAB and AG, you'd find that you'd get a higher efficiency with AG. Not that any of it matters, as efficiency is just dick wagging. ;)

Well, we compare the refractometer with the Tilt readings. No red flags have been raised by the resident scientist, so I'll go with that :p

I've got 3 pounds of Viking Pale 2-row and 2.5. pounds of Viking Extra Pale 2-row leftover I'd like to use up.

Considering picking up a pound of Crystal malt, some more pale 2-row to fill out the grain bill.

Then 6 ounces of Lemondrop hops, 2 ounces of Simcoe, and using the Hothead Kviek yeast.

YOLO

Well, we compare the refractometer with the Tilt readings. No red flags have been raised by the resident scientist, so I'll go with that :p
My Tilt was off when I got it. I corrected it in the Android app, assuming it held the settings in memory. Nope, its a per-app setting. So I need to go back and do it in Brewers Friend. Oops.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
So we bought 3 fucking pounds of hops for a giant IPA we're making. Also, just finished the 4 litre starter. Using kveik yeast for the first time. It's some pretty neat stuff, as it can also ferment at up to 98F.

• Gravy
So we bought 3 fucking pounds of hops for a giant IPA we're making. Also, just finished the 4 litre starter. Using kveik yeast for the first time. It's some pretty neat stuff, as it can also ferment at up to 98F.

I’m using the hothead Kveik prolly next week!

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
BTW @Valve1138, I just recently learned about Fermcap. If you don't have any, go buy some immediately.

Amazon product ASIN B006O93GLQ
It virtually eliminates all foaming at the hot break, as well as when you add your 60/90 minute hops. Also helps keep krausen down a bit duing fermentation. This was the first brew where I have ZERO schmutz to clean in the blowoff tubes!

And it also worked amazingly for the yeast starter I did this morning. Almost no foam when I added the DME.

Probably the best $7 I've spent in brewing. And the bottle is enough to last for years.

• Gravy
BTW @Valve1138, I just recently learned about Fermcap. If you don't have any, go buy some immediately.

Amazon product ASIN B006O93GLQ
It virtually eliminates all foaming at the hot break, as well as when you add your 60/90 minute hops. Also helps keep krausen down a bit duing fermentation. This was the first brew where I have ZERO schmutz to clean in the blowoff tubes!

And it also worked amazingly for the yeast starter I did this morning. Almost no foam when I added the DME.

Probably the best $7 I've spent in brewing. And the bottle is enough to last for years.

Nice, I shall investigate!

Edit: Purchased!

• Love
Reactions: fly
How much of those hops go in the boil vs dry hopping?
Zero hops went into the boil, which we've never done before. 8.5oz whirlpool hops, then some hop additions around day 1-2, and again around day 2-3.

This recipe was the inspiration. I just bumped it to 10G, and changed the grain bill to reduce the ABV a bit.

• Gravy