Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

We tried to make prison wine once.
Freddie that worked in the kitchen smuggled back some random mixed fruit. Me and another guy fashioned a bladder of sorts out of trash bags that could expand and grow up inside a wall.
It worked great for a little while, then after the fermentation really got going, it burst.
In the end, those of us smart enough to stfu (me and Freddie) ended up getting off the hook.
Those dumb enough to talk to government agents or believe them when they said "rat somebody else out and w'ell go easy on you" all ended up with extra charges.

Moral of the story:

1. Agents of the government are more crooked than most crooks.

2. Most people go to jail not for what they did but because they're stupid enough to talk about it and/or believe what the even more crooked government agents tell them.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
We tried to make prison wine once.
Freddie that worked in the kitchen smuggled back some random mixed fruit. Me and another guy fashioned a bladder of sorts out of trash bags that could expand and grow up inside a wall.
It worked great for a little while, then after the fermentation really got going, it burst.
In the end, those of us smart enough to stfu (me and Freddie) ended up getting off the hook.
Those dumb enough to talk to government agents or believe them when they said "rat somebody else out and w'ell go easy on you" all ended up with extra charges.

Moral of the story:

1. Agents of the government are more crooked than most crooks.

2. Most people go to jail not for what they did but because they're stupid enough to talk about it and/or believe what the even more crooked government agents tell them.
I made peach schnapps in a locker bay in high school.

I was a fancy private school fucknut, so I had both the know-how and the unearned confidence in what I was doing to make it work. My friends and I took peach preserves from the dining hall (yeah, you know it was called a "dining hall" in a private high school, not the "cafeteria", that's for plebs y'know) to the locker bay. We had about a gallon of the peaches in heavy syrup.

In the locker, we'd made a large-ish cooking vessel out of a metal pressure cooker we'd gotten from a local thrift shop ("Savers", where we also found some fukn' awesome velvet leisure suits). We fermented using baker's yeast, which meant we had to do multiple runs, since baker's yeast is selected for CO2 production and not alcohol production. Production went as so: we'd chuck a bunch of the yeast in the peaches and syrup, heat the pressure cooker using a chafing dish for a couple of days, until the mash stopped producing yeast farts (which we vented up into the cold air return that ran over the locker bay). Then we cranked up the heat (with another chafing dish) to distill the alcohol into a copper coil (made of cheap 1/4" copper tubing from the home improvement store), which would drip the alcohol into a glass bottle at the bottom of the locker.

We made many runs of that, and never quite managed to be caught.

What's the easiest way to figure this out? Try to answer without being a total dick.
It's a thermocouple switch - the one you first showed us looked just fine. *A relay would have minimum of 4 lugs - 2 for low voltage, 2 for the high the low voltage is switching on/off. Again, if you old one has a black wire running to it, connect to same lug on new switch that is black, your other wire goes where the two wires are shared on the other lug(of new switch).

It's a thermocouple switch - the one you first showed us looked just fine. *A relay would have minimum of 4 lugs - 2 for low voltage, 2 for the high the low voltage is switching on/off. Again, if you old one has a black wire running to it, connect to same lug on new switch that is black, your other wire goes where the two wires are shared on the other lug(of new switch).
But couldn't it either be 120v right there, or the wires run down to a relay? I guess I can just put a MM on it to see the voltage. That should answer it, correct?

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
But couldn't it either be 120v right there, or the wires run down to a relay? I guess I can just put a MM on it to see the voltage. That should answer it, correct?
You don't need to know. You only have 120 coming into the freezer, correct? The thermcouple switch you showed is rated for 120. NEXT!!
Add: if the wires are running down to a relay then it is low voltage running through that switch. If it is high voltage then there is no need for a relay. The switch you showed is rated high enough for either possibility.

You don't need to know. You only have 120 coming into the freezer, correct? The thermcouple switch you showed is rated for 120. NEXT!!
Add: if the wires are running down to a relay then it is low voltage running through that switch. If it is high voltage then there is no need for a relay. The switch you showed is rated high enough for either possibility.
Where did you see 120v? It's not on the Amazon page.

Yep!

There are also differences between AC and DC relays, but I assume (deadly, I know) that most appliances are just going to run on 120V without conversion.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Where did you see 120v? It's not on the Amazon page.
Looking at the cross references, appears the actual manufacturer's part number is 5304513033(those are sold under the 7 or 8 brands Frigidaire sells, under different names), clearly marked 250/125v. Have you removed the old one yet?

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
The old one is out. I first purchased the correct freezer one, which arrived today. Even if it doesn't work, I can always keep it to put it back in some day. I think this new one is going to allow me to get above freezing. Yay!

And FWIW, both the old and the new tstat have a ground terminal. I forgot to check VAC, but I assume that almost certainly means that it runs 120V.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
The old one is out. I first purchased the correct freezer one, which arrived today. Even if it doesn't work, I can always keep it to put it back in some day. I think this new one is going to allow me to get above freezing. Yay!

And FWIW, both the old and the new tstat have a ground terminal. I forgot to check VAC, but I assume that almost certainly means that it runs 120V.
It takes a village to fix a fridge.

Thank God I broke the thermostat. The correct freezer replacement has the water sitting at 39F this morning! Woohoo!

Now I can move on to removing some of the door shelves.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138