Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

Ran into a homebrewing store earlier to pick up a nylon BIAB bag for making cold brew coffee... and the owner and a local brewery owner were in there wondering how the fuck to do temperature control of a 10KW brewing kettle without buying a few thousand dollar controller.

Now I got a job to do. Throw a PID controller, a couple of relays, an oven terminal block and a fuseholder for the PID inside a wall mount box. Power it off an oven outlet, just have to figure out what connectors are needed for the pair of 5KW heaters in the kettle.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and HipHugHer
Ran into a homebrewing store earlier to pick up a nylon BIAB bag for making cold brew coffee... and the owner and a local brewery owner were in there wondering how the fuck to do temperature control of a 10KW brewing kettle without buying a few thousand dollar controller.

Now I got a job to do. Throw a PID controller, a couple of relays, an oven terminal block and a fuseholder for the PID inside a wall mount box. Power it off an oven outlet, just have to figure out what connectors are needed for the pair of 5KW heaters in the kettle.
This might be a good place to start

Thanks. I've never built one of these things. Have a good idea of what I need but it's so much easier to just copy what someone else has done.

I'm gonna ask the brewery to put an oven outlet on the wall (good for 240V/50A, or 12KW of heat) and put an oven cord on the control box. Probably put a pull-out disconnect beside it depending on how far away the breaker is.

I've got an Omega CN2110-T10 temperature controller taking up space. Technically it's a PI controller, not a full PID, but it should do. It's got a 10 amp SSR output, which I'll use to drive one or (probably) two solid state relays for the the heating elements.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum

Hey that sounds somewhat similar to what we're going to do someday!

Gee is going to go "invent" something that's super common among e-brewers.

Like that time he #hacked popcorn.
I'm not inventing jack shit, I'm just putting an electronics box together for someone who doesn't know much about it, and doesn't feel like paying thousands for a pre-assembled off the shelf unit.

Plus it's going in a commercial building, so this isn't some "STC-1000 and a chinese SSR" backyard #hack.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Duke