Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

I've been using a lot of various solvents for degreasing and cleaning parts prior to painting.

Started to wonder, how difficult would it be to just set up a perpetual still and get it to pump out alcohol of a good enough quality to degrease stuff without leaving residue?
I wouldn't be drinking it, so I wouldn't necessarily care about methanol V ethanol, unless there's another reason to avoid that stuff?
Illegality. I considered this for a bit when I was gonna need a lot of denatured alcohol for shellac.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Illegality. I considered this for a bit when I was gonna need a lot of denatured alcohol for shellac.
Slightly sad/ironic considering weed growing in so many places. Although, brewing high grade alcohol is slightly akin to running a meth lab.
boom smile GIF

yeah. making some form of non-specific alcohol can be done almost by accident.

drinkable without killing ya? thats another story.

I once left a cup of sweet tea someplace in the heat for a week or so and when i found it pretty much all those sugars had turned to alcohol, smelled like everclear mixed with rotten fruit

• Gravy
From what little I understand, they are very persnickety. Maybe it doesn't matter if you're not going to drink it though.
I managed to make two in high school, once for a science project, and once to ferment peach schnapps out of the peaches in syrup they gave us for lunch.

It can't be that hard if a retard like me can manage.

• Gravy
From what little I understand, they are very persnickety. Maybe it doesn't matter if you're not going to drink it though.
Easy to build but yeah, persnickety to get right. Gotta keep the hot side hot, cool side cool or the alcohol just drips back into the wrong half.
Glass distillation tube with outer cooling jacket, small pump for chilling, etc. - you can build a nice one for less than $200 that works great. Copper shit tubes,etc - yuck. Just like beer making. Gear matters.

From my, admittedly spotty, reading the persnickety part is keeping it below the temp (or above, can't 100% remember) at which ethanol turns into methanol. Or at which methanol turns into ethanol. Something along those lines.

From my, admittedly spotty, reading the persnickety part is keeping it below the temp (or above, can't 100% remember) at which ethanol turns into methanol. Or at which methanol turns into ethanol. Something along those lines.
Methanol distills at 65c, ethanol at 78c. [One]Safe practice for drinking is to throw away the first stuff in case you blew right past the meth and are cracking off BOTH. Better to have great control and really cook it off(the methanol) around maybe 72-73c.

Last edited:
So we brewed a beer with a new extract called Fiori di Sicilia, not knowing how it would turn out. Turns out, it tastes like Fruity Pebbles! So for the name we obviously wanted to make a Flintstones reference, so we named it after their cat, Baby Puss.

DCB presents.... Baby Puss Wheat.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
So we brewed a beer with a new extract called Fiori di Sicilia, not knowing how it would turn out. Turns out, it tastes like Fruity Pebbles! So for the name we obviously wanted to make a Flintstones reference, so we named it after their cat, Baby Puss.

DCB presents.... Baby Puss Wheat.
That sounds like a yeast infection.

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: adi and fly