Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

Myplate chiller drains into a 5 gallon bucket, that has a sump pump in it, with a hose that goes 40' tot he nearest sink.

The pump is being a piece of shit the last couple brews, not pumping, kinda pumping, pumping to slow. Used to work fine.

I shortened the hose so it's exactly the length it needs to be with no extra, there's no hard bends in it. Pumps specs says it should be fine.

So, it's time to find a better solution.

I think for the summer, I'm just going to run a hose from the plate chiller to out the back shop door. It's just water.
HEY @wetwillie, SOMEONE'S FINALLY USING A SUMP PUMP, GET YOUR ASS IN HERE AND TALK ABOUT EXIT LINES.

This might be the way to go attached to a laundry sink.

Myplate chiller drains into a 5 gallon bucket, that has a sump pump in it, with a hose that goes 40' tot he nearest sink.

The pump is being a piece of shit the last couple brews, not pumping, kinda pumping, pumping to slow. Used to work fine.

I shortened the hose so it's exactly the length it needs to be with no extra, there's no hard bends in it. Pumps specs says it should be fine.

I think for the summer, I'm just going to run a hose from the plate chiller to out the back shop door. It's just water.
Aren't you doing it in the basement? Is there no floor drain?

edit: Or why can't the drain hose just run all the way to the sink on its own? Shitty water presssure?

Aren't you doing it in the basement? Is there no floor drain?

edit: Or why can't the drain hose just run all the way to the sink on its own? Shitty water presssure?

No floor drain. Which I’m still surprised about. Would have been easy when they built the place.

I don’t know about running the hose that far. It’s about 40’ and up to the sink. I suppose I should try that. KISS rule

40 feet of garden hose probably has too much backpressure for a sump pump.

Generally sump pumps are designed to throw lots of GPM through fat 1.5-2" pipe. Choke one off by feeding a garden hose with it and you'll likely overload it, run it that way continuously and you'll probably burn it up.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I scrolled through this whole deal except the part where Mustard said something, had to stop and read that.
Wasn't really worth stopping for but most the time it is.

40 feet of garden hose probably has too much backpressure for a sump pump.

Generally sump pumps are designed to throw lots of GPM through fat 1.5-2" pipe. Choke one off by feeding a garden hose with it and you'll likely overload it, run it that way continuously and you'll probably burn it up.

Pump spec sheet said it should be ok.

Should...

So we had to dump our first keg due to an infection. :(

What *I think* happened is that we had a friend give us his kegs because he doesn't brew anymore. The keg was VERY dirty. We cleaned it out with all the approved cleaners and sanitizers. However, the thought never crossed my mind that we probably needed to clean the dip tube. Mostly because our kegs are NEVER that dirty. Oops.

The beer went into the keg tasting fine, but a week later and something had gone wrong. FML

• Barf
Reactions: Jehannum
So we had to dump our first keg due to an infection. :(

What *I think* happened is that we had a friend give us his kegs because he doesn't brew anymore. The keg was VERY dirty. We cleaned it out with all the approved cleaners and sanitizers. However, the thought never crossed my mind that we probably needed to clean the dip tube. Mostly because our kegs are NEVER that dirty. Oops.

The beer went into the keg tasting fine, but a week later and something had gone wrong. FML

Always clean your dip tube!

My keg washer does this for me.

Also, after you clean it, pop a spare coupler onto the connector to let it drain.

*joke about heavy lift vessel and SoloStove*
@Valve1138 isn't exactly a longshoreman, if you know what I mean.

monty python wink GIF

Picked up some grains today for an 11 gallon batch of a white stout. It's @Wessels birthday coming up, so half of it is getting a cake treatment. Not sure what the other 5.5G will be yet.