Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

I dunno, that seems pretty easy. And argon apparently works better cause its heavier. The idea is to have a 'blanket' over the kettle.

the relative heaviness of a gas compared to atmosphere makes very little difference as long as its heavier. Nitrogen isnt heavier than atmospheric air, its actually a little lighter than standard atmospheric mix.

Argon is the best in this space primarily because its the cheapest noble gas thats heavier than air. All the other cheap gases that are heavier than aire are oxidizing.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
So our two day kettle sour brew went off without a hitch. Sadly, the pH meter we had didn't work, and the new one didn't get there until the second day. Day one took about 4 hours, and then 2 hours on day two. Not too bad. It's going to end up as a blueberry berliner.

@gee or any of you other folks: We have a Milwaukee MW101 pH meter that is possibly about 8-10 years old. Since we just started using it, I just got a new electrode for it. The thing is backwards. When I dial in the 7.0 buffer solution, the 4.01 buffer reads as a pH of 10. So it's opposite. Milwaukee had a chat support on their site and the dude said since I replaced the electrode, the base unit must be bad. That seems odd.

Any ideas?

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
So our two day kettle sour brew went off without a hitch. Sadly, the pH meter we had didn't work, and the new one didn't get there until the second day. Day one took about 4 hours, and then 2 hours on day two. Not too bad. It's going to end up as a blueberry berliner.

@gee or any of you other folks: We have a Milwaukee MW101 pH meter that is possibly about 8-10 years old. Since we just started using it, I just got a new electrode for it. The thing is backwards. When I dial in the 7.0 buffer solution, the 4.01 buffer reads as a pH of 10. So it's opposite. Milwaukee had a chat support on their site and the dude said since I replaced the electrode, the base unit must be bad. That seems odd.

Any ideas?
Still got the old electrode? try it.

Also compare electrode part numbers, maybe they sent you the wrong one?

Any ideas?
Any possibility it is attached reverse. Don't know about those electrodes but for electric thermocouples I know it makes a huge difference.
And obviously make sure there is no schmutz at the connection point.

Still got the old electrode? try it.

Also compare electrode part numbers, maybe they sent you the wrong one?
The old one had essentially turned to dust. It had been stored dry for 5+ years. Also, I've already thrown it away.

And according to the Q&A on Amazon, it works for the MW101.

Yep, just put in a new battery. What's telling to me here is that it's giving the correct reading, just on the wrong side of 7.0.
Did you remove the probe(yes I've looked at the connection now, it's idiot proof) and make sure there is m=no schmutz in there? Smallest piece of crap is going to fuck up the readings, first thing that unit has to do is amplify the signal from the probe a few thousand times.