Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

Got muh bag.

181212593IMG0337.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
How do you plan to mash like that?

You mash in the pot after you lift out and squeeze the bag.

https://www.brewinabag.com/pages/instructions

It will also double as a regular 'ole hops basket.

And I got my 240V 3500 watt Avantco induction burner today.

I'll have the electrician out to put a proper out in for it when I have the shop area ready for brewing.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
You mash in the pot after you lift out and squeeze the bag.

https://www.brewinabag.com/pages/instructions

It will also double as a regular 'ole hops basket.

And I got my 240V 3500 watt Avantco induction burner today.

I'll have the electrician out to put a proper out in for it when I have the shop area ready for brewing.
But how are you going to keep it around 15xF? Constant temperature is extremely important during the mash and a burner just isn't going to do that. I think you might actually be making *more* work for yourself (and less repeatable beers) by not just building/buying a real mash tun and switching to all grain.

But how are you going to keep it around 15xF? Constant temperature is extremely important during the mash and a burner just isn't going to do that. I think you might actually be making *more* work for yourself (and less repeatable beers) by not just building/buying a real mash tun and switching to all grain.

You wrap Reflectix around the pot and lid.

I've been reading a bunch about this, it's a pretty popular way of E-Brewing.

And the MegaPot we have reviews well for heat retention with the added Reflectix insulation.

And this is all grain, no malt extracts are used with this.

You wrap Reflectix around the pot and lid.

I've been reading a bunch about this, it's a pretty popular way of E-Brewing.

And the MegaPot we have reviews well for heat retention with the added Reflectix insulation.

And this is all grain, no malt extracts are used with this.
I can't see how you're going to keep that within 1-2F of your target temp over 60-90 minutes, but maybe it's just cause I haven't read up on it. Just get a real mash tun and be done with it. When you do, you're going to be surprised at how easy it all is.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
I can't see how you're going to keep that within 1-2F of your target temp over 60-90 minutes, but maybe it's just cause I haven't read up on it. Just get a real mash tun and be done with it. When you do, you're going to be surprised at how easy it all is.

And I can still do that. The bag was $30 and isn’t a brewing unitasker.

• Gravy
And I can still do that. The bag was $30 and isn’t a brewing unitasker.
Gotcha. Yeah, you'll need consistent and uniform temps for a good mash. Our tun drops like 1 degree over an hour, and since there's no heat supplied, it's relatively uniform. Too hot and the enzymes fizzle out, too cold and the shit stops.

Now that I think about it, I'd also be concerned that you might get some off flavors if you use it for hops. I forget the chemical, but one of the bad ones boils away, which is why you never want to cover the pot. With that bag over the top, you might be catching some.

I dunno, you've done the research and I haven't. Just some shit I've learned the hard way over the years.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Gotcha. Yeah, you'll need consistent and uniform temps for a good mash. Our tun drops like 1 degree over an hour, and since there's no heat supplied, it's relatively uniform. Too hot and the enzymes fizzle out, too cold and the shit stops.

Now that I think about it, I'd also be concerned that you might get some off flavors if you use it for hops. I forget the chemical, but one of the bad ones boils away, which is why you never want to cover the pot. With that bag over the top, you might be catching some.

I dunno, you've done the research and I haven't. Just some shit I've learned the hard way over the years.

The bag goes in the pot. Not over top.

• Gravy
Seriously. I’ve never really been tempted to even try beer but some of these concoctions are intriguing.

I suppose I could skip the alcohol and just go make a actual peach milkshake.
beer tastes terrible for the most part.

As does all alcohol, but especially beer.

the only reason people tolerate it is cause of the effects.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
beer tastes terrible for the most part.

As does all alcohol, but especially beer.

the only reason people tolerate it is cause of the effects.
You could say the same thing about any bitter food or drink. Bitter is natures danger signal to us. So anything that has that flavor profile is an 'acquired' taste.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie