So does anyone know the workings of PXE?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,363
Steam
mattressfish
So I finally got our PXE server up and running at work. Runs great, except for our older machines that don't support PXE. M$ makes a boot floppy generator for RIS that will boot *some* NICs, but I need one that boots ours. How can I fix this?

NERDS UNITE!

If you can post which NICs you are using I can look into it a bit. Chances are there may be a firmware update out there that will allow you to connect in a pre-boot environment.

fly said:
The RIS boot floppy is only one file.

What dan is saying is that you may need to custom craft a boot disk for any systems not grandfathered into RIS's PXE setup. You should be able to build a disk using basic network connectivity to then connect to your RIS server and begin the imaging process.

You may also want to investigate the use of a PE disk (Google Bart's PE), it contains many of the basic files needed to bring a new system up on the network. We use PE disks in our imaging process here (PE to boot and connect, Ghost to lay the image down).

reverendsaintjay said:
What dan is saying is that you may need to custom craft a boot disk for any systems not grandfathered into RIS's PXE setup. You should be able to build a disk using basic network connectivity to then connect to your RIS server and begin the imaging process.

You may also want to investigate the use of a PE disk (Google Bart's PE), it contains many of the basic files needed to bring a new system up on the network. We use PE disks in our imaging process here (PE to boot and connect, Ghost to lay the image down).

Bart's PE is a good one.

reverendsaintjay said:

I was hoping to get one floppy for all machines. I found this:

http://rom-o-matic.net/5.4.1/

But its NIC specific. I wanna build a single disk for all our machines that don't support PXE.

We use BartPE extensively for unattended installs here, but I need a PXE client to get to Bart...

reverendsaintjay said:

Bart's PE is also an excellent tool for recovering data from a buggered hdd.

itburnswhenipee said:
Bart's PE is also an excellent tool for recovering data from a buggered hdd.

It shames me to say this, but there's another great use for Bart's PE... When your Costanza-esque roommate uses his work laptop for all sorts of unmentionable things and then discovers that you do indeed need admin access to the box to perform 'deep clean' operations.

Goddamn Costanza.