Ontopic So did Georgia murder an innocent man last night?

Juries are often very reasonable. 12 average people, when they sit down to discuss something, can draw extraordinarily lucid conclusions.

12 average people who couldnt figure out how to get out of jury duty.

I'd rather take my chances in an equity court :p

gee you think?

waw's one sided image was proof of that, it's like a giant political add. OMG HE DID THIS but we aren't gonna mention this, but compare it to the guy WHO DID THIS but we won't tell motives or anything else about the case. AND THE OUTCOME IS DIFFERENT!!!~! OMG

do you not agree there are doubts that have been cast upon the evidence in this case? I'm debating above the belt but you and duke have gone for the "oh, he works for cnn" bullshit to bolster an argument, as if that means anything here. I don't work for the news and in that regard that makes none of us 3 any different. lame tactics.

Trolololo.

Jury duty is also a violation of the 13th amendment, imo.
Butler v. Perry, 240 U.S. 328 (1916)

"the term "involuntary servitude" was intended to cover those forms of compulsory labor akin to African slavery...was not intended to interdict enforcement of those duties which individuals owe to the state, such as services in the army, militia, on the jury, etc. The great purpose in view was liberty under the protection of effective government, not the destruction of the latter by depriving it of essential powers."

"There is no merit in the claim that a man's labor is property, the taking of which without compensation by the state...violates the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment."

yeah I'm just going for the "media didn't get all the facts before running away like morons with the info" angle. you don't want to know what I had to do to even get that link.

Is there no such thing as a .38 semi-automatic?
There's the somewhat uncommon .38 Super I suppose, available in the 1911 platform and perhaps some conversions.

I would highly doubt that would be the case though, .38 revolvers are/were cheaply available, particularly to folks obtaining them outside of legal means.

ZRH noted that 9mm is essentially .38" in diameter, but the bullet weights are different enough that I would presume they would be able to determine the difference.

I don't know anything about this case, but that just strikes me as odd, which is why I commented.

Butler v. Perry, 240 U.S. 328 (1916)

"the term "involuntary servitude" was intended to cover those forms of compulsory labor akin to African slavery...was not intended to interdict enforcement of those duties which individuals owe to the state, such as services in the army, militia, on the jury, etc. The great purpose in view was liberty under the protection of effective government, not the destruction of the latter by depriving it of essential powers."

"There is no merit in the claim that a man's labor is property, the taking of which without compensation by the state...violates the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment."

Congratulations on googling intellectually dishonest court rulings. An opinion of the system garnered by an agent of the system isn't compelling in the least.

Congratulations on googling intellectually dishonest court rulings. An opinion of the system garnered by an agent of the system isn't compelling in the least.
Lexis Nexis-ing actually. It's solid reasoning though, and much more direct than current Supreme Court rulings. The 13th amendment was passed specifically to outlaw slavery and debt bondage. It wasn't intended (remember ruling on the intent, and there fore application of statuary law is what judges do) to limit the powers of state/federal government in any way except with regards to slavery.

Either way, Article One, section 8, clause 18:gives congress the ability to grant the judiciary the power to carry out it's constitutional duty, one of which is a trial by jury. (I am not 100% sure on this but it makes sense) It's the same reason grand juries can issue supoenas and you can be held in summary contempt.

do you not agree there are doubts that have been cast upon the evidence in this case? I'm debating above the belt but you and duke have gone for the "oh, he works for cnn" bullshit to bolster an argument, as if that means anything here. I don't work for the news and in that regard that makes none of us 3 any different. lame tactics.

That's not what I said at all. I just as easily could have said 'fox news' and the comment would have been the same.

There's the somewhat uncommon .38 Super I suppose, available in the 1911 platform and perhaps some conversions.

I would highly doubt that would be the case though, .38 revolvers are/were cheaply available, particularly to folks obtaining them outside of legal means.

ZRH noted that 9mm is essentially .38" in diameter, but the bullet weights are different enough that I would presume they would be able to determine the difference.

I don't know anything about this case, but that just strikes me as odd, which is why I commented.

Uncommon?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=utl7TojiC4HAtgeD8eWMDg&ved=0CB4Q8wIwAA

Lexis Nexis-ing actually. It's solid reasoning though, and much more direct than current Supreme Court rulings. The 13th amendment was passed specifically to outlaw slavery and debt bondage. It wasn't intended (remember ruling on the intent, and there fore application of statuary law is what judges do) to limit the powers of state/federal government in any way except with regards to slavery.

Either way, Article One, section 8, clause 18:gives congress the ability to grant the judiciary the power to carry out it's constitutional duty, one of which is a trial by jury. (I am not 100% sure on this but it makes sense) It's the same reason grand juries can issue supoenas and you can be held in summary contempt.

Bailey v. Alabama opinion disagrees with this. Guarantee a trial by jury? I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is penalty for not performing on a jury being punishable with imprisonment. There is no other way to look at this. That is forced labor. Jurors are not convicted of crimes. They should give up no rights.

Uh, yes, uncommon. Just because you can find it for sale doesn't mean that it's common.

.22, 9mm, .40, .357 mag, .44mag, .380, .44spl, .38spl, .45acp, .32acp, and pehaps even 9x18 are what I'd call common.

Even .357 sig isn't always easy to find (Now I'm talking brick and mortar stores, with the wonders of the intarnet all of 'em are easily found.) but one sees that more often than .38 super.

I don't think Cabela's even sells it for example.

It's no wonder we get fucked up jury decisions. The role of the jury is to weigh evidence and determine credibility of witnesses. That sounds like a task I want to charge to people who aren't experts that are selected on inability to come up with clever ways to avoid jury duty. Who better to do that than the unemployed and the elderly?

On top of that we pay these people next to nothing and make it mandatory. Nobody works harder than slaves.